• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti freeze ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

Hi all , i added anti freeze to my res which is located just outside my window because we have started hitting -10 at nights, and when i added it, i addded enough so it would be good for -30 because in a month or so we will be hitting -40 somtimes, and i have noticed that my temps have raise about 4 - 5c ? is this normal for anti freeze to not disapate the heat aswell as just normal water ? A friend told me to add some water wetter which i will buy soon but will it drop my temps back to what they were ?

Thanx in advance

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Yes anti freeze is not as good as transfering heat as water. The ONLY reason to use it, in a computer or a car for that matter is for sub-zero temps and corrosion prevention. Your temps rising 5-6C seems odd, that is high and probably is due to something else other than the anti-freeze.

Frodo Baggins

nikhsub1 said:
Yes anti freeze is not as good as transfering heat as water. The ONLY reason to use it, in a computer or a car for that matter is for sub-zero temps and corrosion prevention. Your temps rising 5-6C seems odd, that is high and probably is due to something else other than the anti-freeze.

i disagree, it's also sueful when you don't want stuff growing in your water and your too cheap for water wetter

OP
S

skinart

i added about 30 % anti freeze 70% water coz it will be -40 here soon so my res might freeze in these condictions, and Frodo , does that mean i can just add water wetter and that will act as an anti freeze ? coz the price is hardly a factor here.

Frodo Baggins

skinart said:
i added about 30 % anti freeze 70% water coz it will be -40 here soon so my res might freeze in these condictions, and Frodo , does that mean i can just add water wetter and that will act as an anti freeze ? coz the price is hardly a factor here.

oops, no sorry to confuse you, water wetter won't act as anti freeze and raise the freezing point of water. I meant thtat if you needed something to keep the algue and crap from growing and you didn't have any moolah, antifreeze would do the trick :rolleyes:

SemiCycle

Fujikuro said:
yah im running 1/3 antifreeze and 2/3 distilled water. without that antifreeze i end up with a 2 gallon solid block of ice in my reservoir!

I wonder if your pump was having a hard time pumping.....lol

J/K