• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti-static wrist/mat/grounder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Csharp

Registered
I want to get these just to be sure there will be no chance of a short while I build my new PC. I found an anti-static wrist on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899888207

But i'm not sure where or which mat to get, is there a standard one everyone uses?

And once I have the anti-static wrist what do i attach it to to ground it? Is there something I can buy to do that?

I don't know about any mats, but I usually just attach it to the side of my case (or my metal desk if Im close to it)

I have been building computers for 15 years and never once have used a grounding strap and have yet to destroy any of my equipment. I have put together somewhere around 100 systems(not to mention tearing my personal computers down about a zillion times). I just touch something metal like the case to ground myself out before I handle any of the electrical equipment. But yeah if you want to get one go to Radio Shack there like $5 bucks.

Static issues can be prevalent depending on global location. Dry, windy places (such as the mid western US areas) are prone to having high amounts of static, and you can easily fry a component even if you think theres no static around.

Living in NYC, which normally has high humidity because of the close proximity to the water/sea, static is always very low. So like Section8, I've never fried a component with static by using the same method of always being in contact with the case.

But then again, isnt that what a strap does too? :beer:

But then again, isnt that what a strap does too? :beer:

yep :) you just dont have to keep one hand on the case to ground yourself ;)

never had a issue with static at home.

now at work, its a diferent story :( every time i touch metal i get zapped i think its just too dry in the office.

A metal case is okay, but I find it safer to tie it to an actual grounding source. I usually take off the face plate to an outlet near me and tie it into that box. Much safer. For those really paranoid about ESD.

I am near the Chicago area though. Like was mentioned earlier about location, especially in the winter, it is a real concern here.

I wound venture that taking a cover off an outlet and doing anything in there is much more dangerous than static electricity :)

Especially for the electrically uninformed folk. Its much easier to ground an item to the screw which holds on the faceplate, then telling someone to remove the entire faceplate and go poking around the insides.

Even much easier to use a grounding block which is made for just such a thing.

You'll have to add on the price of a wire, to attach between the wrist strap and grounding point. Unless your like this reviewer...

Other Thoughts: I'm not sure how well it works. I haven't had any failures, but that's not a proof of function. But for the price and for the convenience of cordlessness, I'll use it.

:rolleyes:

Back