• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus Freeware Avira AntiVir Personal 12.0.0.1125 with less nags is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT 2015: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...tall-2015-freeware-antivirus-Avira-version-15

In the middle of 2014 Avira disabled version 13 updates (Old version 12 is compatible with Windows 7 but not Windows 8 -- install version 14 or later for Windows 8 compatibility.)

Previously we established that this is a program with one of the best antivirus definitions out there and it's free.

I would give up Avira in a heartbeat if there was a reason and have no irrational allegiances to it. I stick with it because of personal experience of actually keeping infected files which managed to get through my defenses, then installing and updating the top 5 programs and seeing which detect it and which do not. Avira detected more, had the least false-positives and the thing that I noticed was that some of them ended up detecting those virii I kept for testing purposes later on. In other words, their zero day definitions were not updated as quickly as Avira's. I found Avira to have the most zero-day definitions up to date based on that personal experience and of course based on hanging out at computer forums and just observing what people like us say and think.

Sadly, since version 10 SP2, they introduced multiple nags to make you install Toolbars and other unacceptable crapware. Since it appears we can no longer simply update the definitions for version 10 non SP2 without updating the program, I was on the verge of giving it up - but it appears the just released build gets rid of the update nags which required multiple reboots to get rid of.

So as long as it is installed correctly, and Comodo Firewall or similar software is used to block these two files from accessing the internet:
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

We should be good continuing to use this antivirus software instead of the pay-for alternatives, most of which have a track record of worse definitions than Avira.

http://personal.avira-update.com/package/wks_avira/win32/en/pecl/avira_free_antivirus_en.exe
http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

OLD THREAD WHEN v12 was out -- NOW EDITED WITH NEW INSTRUCTIONS for v13 below:

...so stay with v13.0.0.2832.

In the past we've established that Avira Antivirus has excellent zero day definitions, beating many (most) definitions of pay-for Anti-virus programs. But... you have to install it in a specific way, etc. etc. Anyway, the just released v13.0.0.2890 takes away the option to disable Product Updates.

View attachment 120386
View attachment 120387

To clarify, Avira definition updates could be automatic even if Avira product update was disabled. It was important to disable automatic product updates so that we can update the product version only after we back up our operating system, in case the new product version disables it.

We know for a fact that Antivirus program updates can be released with no testing in the past because some bugs were evident on the first run, on every machine. Our friend's and family's Windows XP machines in particular [Windows XP was the dominant operating system in the world until recently, it is officially supported by Microsoft until second half of 2014] - was wrecked by automatic product updates in the past.

So make sure to stay with v13.0.0.2832 or else risk an auto product update disabling your machine when you need the most, not to mention if this happens on friend's/family computers. :rolleyes:

Search for old version 13.0.0.2832, it appears to be still hosted in few places. It is a 101 MB (106,024,808 bytes) setup file.

Avira AntiVir Personal 13.0.0.2832

[Follow-up Build 2890 does not have the option to disable product updates. It is important to disable automatic product updates (but leave definition updates ON). Product updates may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

Disconnect Internet connection. Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.
Ignore Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom and CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next >

UNCHECK everything when asked to install Avira Toolbars > Next > Next > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next >

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]
(UNCHECK: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.) > Next > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation

Next > Finish >

*ABORT any update process when it automatically pops up!* (If you haven't disconnected Internet connection as instructed above.)

Setup the program before connecting to the internet [then block apnstub.exe and ipmgui.exe from accessing the internet].

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program is renewed automatically through product updates. It is not renewed through virus definition updates. If product updates are disabled in order to prevent installation of a newer version of the program, download the latest key file from

http://dl2.avgate.net/down/windows/hbedv.key

and either copy it to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
and restart or go to Help > License management > click on the blue hbedv.key link > browse to the new downloaded hbedv.key > Open.

Options:
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) > Yes >
UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (on right) > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> Click on + next to Update > Product Update > Do not download product updates.
[This option is only for Avira Antivir product updates (Antivirus definitions will still be downloaded automatically.) Product updates should be downloaded manually by going to Update > Start product update... because they may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

> General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Alerts > UNCHECK everything except Dial-up connection is used

> OK

> Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Set Avira Free Antivirus to Always show in Windows Taskbar.

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Also block these two files from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

or

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

For Windows XP Home or Windows 8 (non-Pro version) you would need to boot into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

You can scan multiple drives inside program options: Local Protection > Scanner > CHECK drives you wish to scan. The premium version also offers the option to scan multiple folders here. The free version does not.

In case of error message:

The procedure entry point ?_Xbad@tr1@std@@YAX4error_type@regex_constants@12@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
If there are two Antivirus programs installed, you should not have two Antivirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two Antivirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an Antivirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

For older versions:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
or
C:\Program Files\Avira AntiVir Personal\
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Avira AntiVir Personal\LOGFILES

Last edited:
I would ignore Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html

Comodo Firewall 2012 product version 5, 12, 256249, 2599

Version 5.12 is compatible with Windows 8. That is the only difference between v5.10 and v5.12. There are no other different features. On Windows 7/XP machines, installing v5.12 is identical to installing v5.10.

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything.
Do not change DNS servers. Do not enable Cloud Based Behavior Analysis.

BEFORE CLICKING ON Agree and install ** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. **

UNCHECK: Install COMODO GeekBUddy and COMODO Dragon > Back > Agree and Install

First import any saved configurations if you have them:
Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Configuration > Manage My Configurations > Import...

Wait for it to be imported, then click on the imported configuration > Activate

Otherwise, set your custom configuration:

Start the program > More... TAB > Preferences > General TAB > UNCHECK Everything > OK

Firewall TAB > Firewall Behavior Settings [last on right] > General Settings TAB > Custom Policy
then
Alert Settings TAB > Alert Settings > Very Low (Shows only one alert per application) > OK

Defense+ TAB > Defense+ Settings > [last on right] > Disabled > OK

Firewall > Common Tasks > Define any New Trusted/Blocked Applications
To view a list of blocked/trusted applications: Firewall > Network Security Policy

Note that even if you exit this program, it will still block access to other computers on the network if the following are blocked under Firewall > Network Security Policy:

System
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any

Last edited:
avira january 2012 results: http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/...ports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=120530

What I payed for 2 months ago: Norton january 2012 results:

Symantec/Norton January 2012 results: http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/...ports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=120542
tl:dr:

Avira 96% detection rate, Norton 100% detection rate.

as for MSE? 86% detection rate. LOL. I like MSE. it just plain works and doesn't bug you, but 14% miss rate? Not so good. 4% miss rate (for a free product) is acceptable in my opinion, for Avira. If your payed product isn't at 100%, then you wasted your money.

It's difficult to get exact numbers, but the top five have been consistent in the past decade+. Norton, Avira, Trend Micro, Kaspersky and McAffee. Only one of them is free though :), Avira is probably among the top three although when reading some PC magazines you sometimes can't tell by looking at tests sandwiched in between ads for Norton, Kaspersky and others :D

I agree that MSE and others cannot compete when it comes to definitions.

lol. as long as you plug an AV, make sure you have somethign to back it up. Avira can back it up.

The only reason i liked MSE (and still do to an extent) is how little it bugs you. it just works. Not very well, mind you, but it works.

I ran into a big problem with Avira today. I was using the older version on my work laptop and had killed all the nag screens like you had posted before and hadn't updated to the new version. All of a sudden this morning, a nag screen popped up trying to get me to buy the damn program and as usual I closed it out, then went back in to deny avnotify.exe permissions. After doing that, I then went to deny avnotify.dll the same thing and all of a sudden I couldn't even get into the C:\Program Files\Avira folder. Bringing up the properties of the root Avira folder and clicking on security, there is a new group added to the top section called "CREATOR OWNER" (just like that without the quotes) and now Avira won't run and I can't uninstall or delete the folder or files. For a temporary fix, I installed Avast so I can have some kind of working antivirus while I'm out on the rig, but I don't dare mess with my laptop too much out here as it's my sole computer here and it's still working.

But it looks like Avira is getting nasty with people that don't want to see nag screens now and look to be actively trying to bork people's installs if they try to turn off the nag screens.:mad: Once I get in from the rig, I guess I will have to back up all my work files that I have collected over the years and then do a complete factory image restore if I can't get rid of the files.

I will never install Avira on another computer. It was bad enough with the daily nag screens, but when they started also giving popups right over the notification area that was too much for me. And now with this BS happening, I now classify Avira as no better than a damn virus itself!:bang head

muddocktor, start a thread about the "CREATOR OWNER" issue, then private message the new thread link to redduc900

That's something that we should be able to figure out. Avira should not prevent you from uninstalling it.

Matter of fact, old version of Avira need to be uninstalled or else they all get a "product is out of date" pop-up which cannot be blocked -- this is why I had to uninstall version 10 then install version 12 and start this thread. However, even with that pop-up, which appears after first boot, the definitions can be updated.

I do completely agree with you that this is all a big huge pain.

It's not related to the out of date popup. I know about that one and just ignored it except to click the "X" to close it out. This new popup happened with my computer already up and running for days. It was the regular nag screen popup that came up this morning and not that little notification deal in the bottom corner of the screen when you boot up. After closing out the nag screen I went into Explorer to the Avira directory and saw an avnotify.exe file plus an avnotify.exe.tem~ (or maybe old, don't remember and can't see now) plus an avnotify.dll and a avnotify.dll.tem~ (or old) in the folder and IIRC those modded files weren't present before this morning. So that's why I say that this was directly caused by something that Avira pushed out in the last day or so along with definition updates.

Hell, if they were upset that I wasn't letting them nag me, they should have just uninstalled their crap instead of screwing with my computer. :mad: I hope they burn in Hell and go bankrupt.

I might just start a thread on this when I get in though, as I would rather try to clean this up than reinstall the factory image.

I uninstalled version 10 because of the upgrade popup and am running version 12 w/o nags. You should be able to uninstall Avira completely. After that, version 12 installs as usual without any pop-ups.

If you cannot uninstall Avira, then something is not right, we definitely need to look at that.

I hope they go bankrupt.

They will...if we keep finding ways to use their free product nag-free :D

I am with you about the crapware though but they did appear to get rid of that with version 12. Hope you figure this out, there's always MS Essentials. You will not get the same virus definitions with Microsoft Essentials but it is also free and there's less hassle with it, at the expense of inferior definitions though.

Hello, All!

Thanks for your excellent tutorial. It really makes things bearable concerning Avira.

Since they've now released a version 13.0.0.2890, a thing or two seems to have changed. Seems that one can no longer disable program updates.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Last edited:
Hello!

I agree with Muddocktor. May their torment in the hereafter be without end.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be giving that a shot, as the nags have returned.

Again, your assistance is appreciated.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Last edited:
Well, let's be reasonable. There is a pay-for Avira version without nags.

It's free and free with zero day definitions that beat many (most) other pay-for programs. So... I'm not sure why we can expect more. We can only switch away and there is nothing free to switch to that comes close with definitions. So they give us a good product and we can pay or use it for free while watching ads... or do the workaround...

But let me just say that Comodo Firewall is excellent and free firewall that beats many other pay-for firewalls so great choice of Firewalls but we do need the nag eliminating workaround as described in instructions, Comodo or other Firewalls may not be enough to block nags by themselves. Comodo blocks crapware that Avira installs, that's its main usefulness.

Right now the main complaint about Avira imo has become the elimination of Program Update setting. This will be OK for at least a year since we can simply install 13.0.0.2832 and never upgrade. In a year or two they may force us to abandon v13 and then we need to see what else is on the market with an option to disable product updates.

Anti virus software program updates historically have wrecked the OS so we cant just allow them to upgrade and wake up with broken Windows when we most need to use our system. They gave up that right when they released OS destroying updates which they did without doing basic tests.

One particular Avira problem update in the past could be replicated on every single machine. This means that they released a program update WITHOUT testing it EVEN ONCE. Then for some reason didn't pull the update as soon as they realized it was a problem.

The right thing to do would have been to apologize by replacing the engineers responsible etc. So

Back