• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keith Myers

I am starting a thread to see if I can drum up any comments from other ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners to see if we can start a conversation about what is working and mostly what is not working with the motherboard. I am doing this because I have found ZERO thread information across a multitude of forums and websites. There just isn't any information from users of this motherboard. Nothing but threads about the CH6 which has very little similarity between itself and the X370 Pro.

Anyone want to chime in??:-/

I replied to your post over at my original thread. I hope I have better results tomorrow with the new Corsair memory. I haven't figured out how to setup multiple system signature profiles on this website. FYI

ASUS Prime X370 Pro
AMD 1700X
memory ???
Corsair MX200 256 GB SSD
Corsair HX-850 power supply
2 X EVGA GTX970 video cards
CoolerMaster HAF922 case
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 cooler
Corsair H100iV2 awaiting re-install when bracket ships

Guess I spoke too soon. Lost stability around 3.8ghz. then I couldn't boot after dialing back. Lost the 2933 ram o_O
That's been my dilemma. Any instability or reboot means you lose your settings and have to start from scratch. I have been saving working profiles but they won't reload for some reason. Once I have got the overclocked system up an running in Windows 10, it has been rock-stable. I have been crunching SETI, MilkyWay and Einstein non-stop for over a day with no issues. I only have issues when I power down or reboot to play with hardware. I am a beta tester for Ray Hinchcliffe of RHSoftware, the developer of System Information Viewer. That has been my one-stop, swiss army knife system utility for many years now. I have SIV control my graphics card fans and Corsair water cooling products.

I am very happy so far with the performance of the system, even with underclocked memory. 2400 Mhz DDR4 still is faster than the 1866 on the previous FX-8300 DDR3 system. CPU jobs are running a half hour faster on the 1700X which is actually running 200 Mhz slower than my previous 4 Ghz FX-8300. I upgraded that system, my slowest system, for it to be the guinea pig before I jump in and upgrade my other two faster crunchers.

Hope you are able to recover you fast memory clocks.:grouphug:

Well, I can say for certain, 3.8ghz is the edge of my comfort zone on the factory cooler. I get my 212 bracket on monday, so hopefully I can squeeze her a bit more. Got lots of voltage room left, just gotta get the temps under control. Wish I had a block that fir so I could really lean on her a bit more. It seems you need to bump Vsoc to maintain stability if leaning on the memory controller. I'm sitting at less than 1.1V on Vsoc and get solid boots every time. Guessing Vsoc is similar to the old CPU-NB?

I'm scared to touch Vsoc

Looks like I have it again... Bumped my Vsoc to 1.1V

I'm scared to touch Vsoc because of all the bricked CH6 motherboards. They have 0902 BIOS that prevents that. We have the stock BIOS 0502 which came on my board and I flashed 0504 because it said it improved memory timings. My Vsoc is only about .901V right now. I have seen no information yet that that can't happen with the Prime. If you say you are at 1.1V, I might get brave.

So I'm stability testing 3.8 right now. Be careful with the LLC settings... Even level 1 yeilds around .05 over the set voltage in a load.

I didn't see any increase in Vcpu when I put it on LL1. I just saw it get more stable and settle on one voltage instead of bouncing around. I learned that with my 24/7 100% CPU loading on my CVFZ and Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 that I need to use High LLC on CPU and NB to run at my overclocks. I saw 60-70° C. on the socket temp at Auto or LLC2 under load. For some reason LLC1 lets the socket run at only 45-50° C. My Vcpu is currently at 1.37V @ 3.825 Ghz. I would like to get that lower since it means less heat.

The Asus Prime X370 was the second of three AM4 boards I tried. With BIOS 0504 I was able to get the G.Skill DDR4-3000 Aegis to 2933 bumping the memory voltage to 1.3875V and VSOC to 1.2V. Overclocking was iffy, I could run benches with the 1700 @ 3.9 GHz but stress tests would fail after 5 to 10 minutes. And it didn't like cold booting or even sometimes restarting at overclocked settings even after running at the setting for hours. None of the AM4 boards are sorted yet, the two B350s (MSI and ASRock) I tried both had issues also and neither of them would run the RAM over 2666, the ASRock B350 wouldn't go over 2400. And the selection is very poor, so I returned all my Ryzen CPUs (two 1700s and one 1700X) and motherboards until some more come out.

I didn't see any increase in Vcpu when I put it on LL1. I just saw it get more stable and settle on one voltage instead of bouncing around. I learned that with my 24/7 100% CPU loading on my CVFZ and Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 that I need to use High LLC on CPU and NB to run at my overclocks. I saw 60-70° C. on the socket temp at Auto or LLC2 under load. For some reason LLC1 lets the socket run at only 45-50° C. My Vcpu is currently at 1.37V @ 3.825 Ghz. I would like to get that lower since it means less heat.

Ahh my Vcore is only 1.25ish. it's bouncing alot, but it really shoots up if I put LLC on 1.

I just might not have enough of a load on my VRMs yet.

I got X370-Pro replacement yesterday. My first board came with 0502 BIOS, 2nd one with 0504.
As I mentioned in other thread:
- 0502 was giving me lower CPU temps and I mean 5-10*C lower than 0504 under full load
- 0502 has additional memory timings but I don't know if they're working, most motherboards have only main timings
- There will be new BIOS if not 2 in next days. New microcode was already released and some boards like Gigabyte B350 already have it
- To run memory at higher frequency you need single rank/single sided memory modules ( no more than 2) and set higher VTT voltage what also requires higher memory voltage, in my case 3200 is fully stable at ~0.9V VTT what means that memory has to run at 1.40V even though it can make it at lower voltage
- As AMD said max real temps on 1700X/1800X are 20*C lower than what software is reading, so when you see 80*C then it's 60*C in real ( I have no idea why they set sensors like that as it's causing fans to run faster and make more noise )
- 3.9GHz on my 1700X requires 1.35V, 1.35V is stock voltage but stock is actually 1.25-1.40V on these chips
- LLC1 gives the best results ( voltage is close to what I set manually, about 1.35-1.37V when I set 1.35V in BIOS ), however when you set higher voltage then voltage difference is higher under load
That's all for now

Ahh my Vcore is only 1.25ish. it's bouncing alot, but it really shoots up if I put LLC on 1.

I just might not have enough of a load on my VRMs yet.

That is never to going to be a problem with my crunchers. They are fully loaded all the time. I always know where their thermal peak is on the VRM's, sockets and CPU's.

I got X370-Pro replacement yesterday. My first board came with 0502 BIOS, 2nd one with 0504.
- 0502 was giving me lower CPU temps and I mean 5-10*C lower than 0504 under full load
- 0502 has additional memory timings but I don't know if they're working, most motherboards have only main timings
- There will be new BIOS if not 2 in next days. New microcode was already released and some boards like Gigabyte B350 already have it
- To run memory at higher frequency you need single rank/single sided memory modules ( no more than 2) and set higher VTT voltage what also requires higher memory voltage, in my case 3200 is fully stable at ~0.9V VTT what means that memory has to run at 1.40V even though it can make it at lower voltage
- As AMD said max real temps on 1700X/1800X are 20*C lower than what software is reading, so when you see 80*C then it's 60*C in real ( I have no idea why they set sensors like that as it's causing fans to run faster and make more noise )
- 3.9GHz on my 1700X requires 1.35V, 1.35V is stock voltage but stock is actually 1.25-1.40V on these chips
- LLC1 gives the best results ( voltage is close to what I set manually, about 1.35-1.37V when I set 1.35V in BIOS ), however when you set higher voltage then voltage difference is higher under load
That's all for now
Thanks for joining us over here [emoji14]

Glad you got your board back. Mine came with 0502, and I updated to 0504 before even getting windows 10 up and running.

I haven't messed with vttddr yet, but my stability issues were resolved with a healthy bump to Vsoc. I'm still unsure of what most of these voltage controls do, and the Mobo manual just says the setting allows you to adjust the voltage on Vsoc or Vttddr. Do you happen to know what each voltage is? Is Vsoc the equivalent to the old CPU-NB?

Thanks for the comment, Woomack, I have something to hope for with regard and updated BIOS. New single rank Samsung B-die sticks should be here this afternoon in the mail. I will see whether I can get them up to speed on 0504.

I have been looking at the other values in the BIOS but have no idea of what they do. I googled them for definitions but hit on nothing. I think I am at 0.91 VTT on my system. I will have to start writing down all these new values. VDDP?VTTDDR? VPP_MEM? VDDP Standby Voltage?

That has been my observation too with LLC1. It prevents the CPU voltage from fluctuating very much. I know about the +20° C. offset in reported temps. I think I understood the reason for AMD doing that is that it forces any cooling solution to ramp up to max values to keep the chip cool which is what they wanted for the X models.

That's all for now
I had virtually the same experience with my 1700X in the ASRock Fatal1ty B350 Gaming K4, using Ryzen Master to boot at 3.9 GHz @ 1.35V. I couldn't use the ASRock BIOS to set the core voltage because it didn't work - told ASRock but they didn't seem to care. I ran a vanilla 1700 in the Asus Prime X370 Pro at 3.9 GHz, but it was never truly stable and the motherboard would sometimes not restart at that setting even though it had be running fine. The only thing I can say positive about the Asus is that it would run my RAM at 2933, otherwise it was not dependable.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I keep hitting temp issues which result in instability. Gonna have to wait to OC till after I get my bracket from CM.

You didn't get yours and I ended up with two of them. :screwy:

Back