• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL

I do still game on an FX4xxx i do sadly admit but I also have my i7-4790k on the ASRock Z97 OC Formula for benching I could game on if I ever play a game that the FX is unable to handle. There just isn't enough improvement from the 4790k to justify the purchase of a ZEN for me ATM.

And that I'm afraid is a sad comment about the current state of affairs with Zen. With the majority of computer owners that build or buy high-end systems, they do so to game. If there is not that much improvement in using Zen to game over the existing Intel platform, can we not worry that the market penetration of Zen is going to be minimal?

OTOH, for the small sliver of us users that have our computers doing math or image processing, the benefits of using Zen are massive. I just get the feel that this whole desktop Zen exercise has been simply the field tryout of what AMD intends Zen to be in the datacenter market. I believe I have seen similar comments on the web.

- - - Updated - - -

heads up: inbound to the US site still, this is from the UK site (found out via another forums):

PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0511
1.Improve system performance.
2.Make CPU temperature more precise.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...511.zip?_ga=1.141210418.1059102597.1489804241

YAY! Will have to keep pinging the ASUS USA site to grab that one.

Last edited:
And that I'm afraid is a sad comment about the current state of affairs with Zen. With the majority of computer owners that build or buy high-end systems, they do so to game. If there is not that much improvement in using Zen to game over the existing Intel platform, can we not worry that the market penetration of Zen is going to me minimal?

I don't think so. What ZEN brings is a better budget than Intel like AMD has always done. The difference is in this case the do outperform some intel in some aspects where in the last 2 platforms they have lacked performance. The gaming builders will buy ZEN because of the price to performance.

There's something else that Zen brings to the table that has never happened before (TMK) and that's the neural processor. This is just the stepping stone of where this will be headed. Intel will be coming out with their own in the near future and will spur on technology even further.

Also, game developers have mentioned in the past and have reiterated with the release of ZEN that multi-core gaming is here and will only expand. I believe that in the next 5 years 4 core processor will be the minimum to play games. Almost already is really.

Problem is only that 8 cores are too expensive for typical gamers so Zen is not changing anything for big part of users. It may change with 4-6 cores.
Right now Zen is not faster for games. Most games still use 2-4 cores. AMD is pushing more cores for gaming the same as brands like Microsoft. One of reasons is XBOX and that games are much more profitable for consoles than PC. I expect to see modified Ryzen in new consoles soon, lower clock but we already know that efficiency of Ryzen is the best at lower frequecy when they can run at much lower voltage ( it was said that optimal is something about 30W ).
In current form Ryzen is not the best for gamers and professional users. Simply there was a lot of noise but most who actually get it are quite disappointed.
We can talk about the future but in the future we will see new processors which will offer something more. Till then all will replace their computers 2-3 times. What matters is what is now and now Ryzen is not counting at all.

@BlueFalcon, thanks for BIOS link, I don't have my Ryzen in use right now ( have to finish some tests on Intel ) but I will check it some other day. Have you tried if there is anything new in this BIOS ? I've only checked new Gigabyte BIOS and there is nothing new.

@Woomack I have tried it yet. If I had time to try it, I'd be at work, but I stuck drowning in EE homework at the moment. I can say the Ryzen rig is a quiet whisper @3.7ghz while doing math calcs in python though [emoji14]

Since my CH6 is at RMA until further notice (~10 biz-days) I grabbed one of the last of these on newegg. I'm not sure just yet if I will really stress this board out as it will be a quick turn around board.

The Asus Prime X370 was the second of three AM4 boards I tried. With BIOS 0504 I was able to get the G.Skill DDR4-3000 Aegis to 2933 bumping the memory voltage to 1.3875V and VSOC to 1.2V. Overclocking was iffy, I could run benches with the 1700 @ 3.9 GHz but stress tests would fail after 5 to 10 minutes. And it didn't like cold booting or even sometimes restarting at overclocked settings even after running at the setting for hours. None of the AM4 boards are sorted yet, the two B350s (MSI and ASRock) I tried both had issues also and neither of them would run the RAM over 2666, the ASRock B350 wouldn't go over 2400. And the selection is very poor, so I returned all my Ryzen CPUs (two 1700s and one 1700X) and motherboards until some more come out.

This is my experience as well. It won't do a cold boot at overclocked memory (I just adjust the CPU in windows). To get it to boot I have to reset it, then go into the BIOS. I did manage to get my memory running at 3200 MHz. Overall the board is basically stable for me, but I'm not particularly happy with it.

I have no cold boot issues with my aegis running at 2933. VDDR = 1.385V, VTTDDR = .6875(something like this) and Vsoc = 1.1V (w/LLC @1)

I also don't have any issues passing 2 hrs P95 blend @3.7ghz. I will say I don't trust the temperature readings. I seem to crash after any small time @70C almost as if I am actually running above 75C. Just how it has worked out.

I'm updating the BIOS now. I'll try seeing if increasing the SOC voltage helps. I only set VTT and the DDR voltage.

She can take a bit of abuse, so reach back like a pimp....

1.7V on SS cooling wasn't big problem under load. I have no idea what VRM temp was under load but all was benchable. I have to find my screenshots at 4.4-4.5GHz. I said that couple of times already ...

BIOS flash did nothing. I tried adjusting the SOC voltage and it also didn't help.

Sorry, but I'm done dealing with these board issues. I'm just wasting too much of my time at this point. All the boards I have that don't work in one way or another (Asus Prime, Gigabyte Gaming 3, Asrock AB350 Gaming K4) are going back.

I think Dave may have had it right. If you haven't bought a Ryzen system just hold off for a few months to allow for the compatibility bugs to be worked out.

Got my computer today and did notice the new bios on the Asus website earlier and then came on here to check if someone posted it which they did. I'm currently installing stuff on it but all is stable so far, I've not messed around with the bios yet so all settings are on default/Auto. HWinfo does report high Vcore which is just over 1.5v. I'm going to flash the new bios in the morning.

Well one of my minor annoyances are killed with the new bios. Mobo CPU temp reads the actual CPU sensor. It was an annoyance cause the fan curves CPU temp is based off the Mobo CPU temp value. Yay for proper temperature readings. Started a stress test after putting back in my OC settings. So far so good. Hwinfo64 screenshot. Under the Mobo section, the CPU temp matches the CPU section's temp reading.

Screenshot_20170323-203539.png

Got my computer today and did notice the new bios on the Asus website earlier and then came on here to check if someone posted it which they did. I'm currently installing stuff on it but all is stable so far, I've not messed around with the bios yet so all settings are on default/Auto. HWinfo does report high Vcore which is just over 1.5v. I'm going to flash the new bios in the morning.

After I installed the new 0511, I too was seeing a high VID around 1.55V However, just as with 0505, I can't get the machine to stay at 3200 Mhz after a cold or warm boot. That always forces a reset back to defaults. As before with the previous BIOS, if I just use the 3200 DOCP settings, BUT set the memory at 2933 Mhz, the system holds my 38 multiplier overclock and holds my 2933 Mhz RAM settings. The system has been stable with those settings for several days previously and survives a cold or warm boot just fine without losing my settings. Using the computer at load for distributed computing.

Now here is the strange part. After losing my initial 3200 settings and me setting up for 2933, I have the CPU#0 VID is reporting at 1.2438V. The actual Vcore is reporting at 1.34-1.37V at load. I just set the VDD_CPU voltage to Auto in the BIOS.

SIV  Hardware Status.png

Last edited:
Did you notice that you can set the CPU Fan and Case Fan monitor feedback for Multiple sources in the BIOS? I have it set for CPU and PCH feedback sources. I forgot to add the Thermal Sensor into the feedback source the last time I was in. I have the thermistor currently taped to the top of the NH-D15 SE-AM4 heatpipe block. I plan to put the thermal sensor on the side of the CPU package once I get to re-install the AIO when the bracket arrives. That should alleviate the fan speed picking up only the motherboard temperature which is low in a well ventilated case.

Did you notice that you can set the CPU Fan and Case Fan monitor feedback for Multiple sources in the BIOS? I have it set for CPU and PCH feedback sources. I forgot to add the Thermal Sensor into the feedback source the last time I was in. I have the thermistor currently taped to the top of the NH-D15 SE-AM4 heatpipe block. I plan to put the thermal sensor on the side of the CPU package once I get to re-install the AIO when the bracket arrives. That should alleviate the fan speed picking up only the motherboard temperature which is low in a well ventilated case.
Yeah you can change it in the gui within windows as well. Problem is, at 70C I don't mind my windtunnel noctura ippc-3000 intake fans kicking it up a bit, but I would like it to happen @70… not 60C. The gui won't let me kick out that last point another 10C either (the one stuck at 100%) as it is hard capped at 75C.

I just saw this post by Martin Malik (HwInfo) over in the ROG overclocking thread at Overclock.net
"The 1.550 V VID readout (often stuck) is a bug in the CPU's SMU. Shall be fixed by AMD with new BIOS/firmware code."

So what I saw is a blip in a stuck readout. Nothing to worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah you can change it in the gui within windows as well. Problem is, at 70C I don't mind my windtunnel noctura ippc-3000 intake fans kicking it up a bit, but I would like it to happen @70… not 60C. The gui won't let me kick out that last point another 10C either (the one stuck at 100%) as it is hard capped at 75C.

Have you tried the Manual mode in the BIOS for fan control in EZ mode? I played with it at first and could change the curve shape to lower the temp for onset of full bore fan speed. That doesn't stick in your case?

I just saw this post by Martin Malik (HwInfo) over in the ROG overclocking thread at Overclock.net
"The 1.550 V VID readout (often stuck) is a bug in the CPU's SMU. Shall be fixed by AMD with new BIOS/firmware code."

So what I saw is a blip in a stuck readout. Nothing to worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried the Manual mode in the BIOS for fan control in EZ mode? I played with it at first and could change the curve shape to lower the temp for onset of full bore fan speed. That doesn't stick in your case?
The profile sticks, the problem was I couldn't move the last point out past 75C. The Mobo was reading ~10C higher than the cpu's actual temp, and these ippc-3000s are a bit of a bear sometimes with noise. Great rad fans, but taming them can be harder. So, at 65C on my CPU(actual), the would base their curve off the CPU(Mobo) reading, which was 10C higher. This would force em into 100% duty cycle which is loud.

OK, I understand. I have only set my fans to Turbo after initial playing with the curve. I have the IPPC-2000 fans on my AIO. (If I ever can remount it). I found that maximum speed actually decreased the cooling on the radiator. As well as made a significant increase in noise. The noise doesn't bother me as the computer is in an unoccupied spare bedroom and doesn't bother anyone. I found there is no reason to run the fans that fast. I just settle on Balanced Mode for the pump and Fan speed. That puts the pump rpm at 1980 and the fan rpm at 1280. Seems to cool the best there.

Back