• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any better case than this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I've been looking for a new case for a while. Over time, I came upon this Carbide r275, and really, I have never seen a cooler and better designed case than this for this price, not even close. I just want to know if anyone has anything to say about it.

I'm interested in just a nice looking case, I don't care about lights, I care that it is easy for cable management, upgrades, and looks nice from the outside, clean, and this thing seems to have it all.

I'll be putting an ATX mobo with a Ryzen 7, dual fan water cooling rad, a couple HDD's and an SSD, and man this thing just looks awesome.

I'm sure it's much bigger than I imagine, but hell, we can't be that choosy anymore if we want cable management and good airflow. I'll have to see it live first but in pics and description I can't believe a case like that even exists.

The link is below but if anyone has anything negative, or positive, to say about it, or an alternative for under $100, please speak up I really want to hear it!\

https://www.amazon.ca/CORSAIR-Carbi...716823&sr=8-3&keywords=Carbide+275R+Mid-Tower

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
It looks to be a nice case. As long as you're not planning on putting a NAS in there it should suit most any need.

WackyWRZ

Registered
Agreed - looks pretty nice, might not be great with airflow from the front though. I'm pretty partial to Phanteks and Fractal cases though. :)

Alaric

Agreed - looks pretty nice, might not be great with airflow from the front though. I'm pretty partial to Phanteks and Fractal cases though. :)

^This. I don't have any experience with Fractal, but I do love me some Phanteks. Great customer service on top of a fantastic case (that excels at cable management) with a 200 mm intake fan up front and support for up to a 360 rad, and very good build quality.

OP
Trypt

Trypt

I've done loads of research and I found that the Phanteks p400s looks very much similar and awesome. What I really like about these is they easily fit rads in front intake or top exhaust.

One question, which is the preferred setup? Having two or three intake fans in the front, with an exhaust in the back and a 240 rad on top with exhaust, or, a 240 rad in front intake with the rest exhaust?

WackyWRZ

Registered
Yeah Phanteks cases are awesome!!! For the price the build quality seems really good, and they are designed well.

I would suggest putting the rad on top. I first build my system with the rad on the front and all it did was pump that heat inside to the motherboard, vid card, etc... I re-arranged it to have 3 intake 120, one rear 140, and 2 exhaust top with the rad.

Blaylock

It depends on what you are trying to cool the most. I've seen reports of up to a 5°C difference in CPU temps just by switching the top rad fans as intake rather than exhaust. The cooler intake air really helps cool the CPU. The downside to this is, as Wacky WRZ pointed out, the warm air is now entering the case and you need excellent exhaust fans to help eliminate the increased internal case temps.

If your attempting to keep the GPU as cold as possible than you'll want to keep those top radiator fans as exhaust.

The general rule of thumb is Intake from the front and bottom (and side where available), and exhaust at the top and rear. However that does not mean you can not intake from the front, bottom, and top and exhaust at the rear. Just know you'll need a pretty high CFM fan at the back to help it keep up with the intakes.

Blaylock

That's actually one of the videos I was thinking of when I posted though I may have missed on his 10°C difference. The point here is setting the rad as intake cools the CPU better but adds heat into the case.

Alaric

Yeah, I think that vid mostly shows how case dependent (no pun intended, but I'll take it, LOL) it can be. In my case (again!) I'd be better off with a front mounted rad because I have no real need to OC my VGA, but my CPU is maxed out. Unfortunately my case doesn't support my 360 rad up front.

OP
Trypt

Trypt

I would suggest putting the rad on top. I first build my system with the rad on the front and all it did was pump that heat inside to the motherboard, vid card, etc... I re-arranged it to have 3 intake 120, one rear 140, and 2 exhaust top with the rad.
This is exactly how I planned it, 2x120mm at the front intake, rad on top with 2x120mm exhaust, and a 120mm exhaust at back (140mm when allowed)

I will check the video and see what it says, I'm also considering a 360mm rad in front with 3 intake fans, and then 2x120 and 1x120 exhaust at top/rear.

Video cards take much more temp so I'm not sure that's so important, and my card in particular hits 65C max while mining or gaming right now with really bad airflow, so no matter what it should improve. But the CPU I'm definitely planning to OC quite a bit and want to keep it as cool as possible. I'm guessing the 2nd setup mentioned above is the proper one then, not the one in the quote.