• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Free HD-DVD players out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingless

Since HD-DVD is a dead format, are there any free players out there for it? I have a few good movies (Top Gun and Bourne Identity) on HD-DVD and hate to have them go to waste. I have Vista x64 and really want to play them without having to bootleg and hacking PowerDVD 8 again.

Mpegger

You can also try Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, but as said previously, you would need to rip the movie to your hard drive first in order to have a decrypted video.

OP
wingless

wingless

Yea I ripped it and tested it. It works but not at full quality. I really wish they would come out with a legacy player/plug-in to watch these movies. I have a combo Blu-Ray RW/HD-DVD player and have a few GOOD HD-DVDs I want to watch; Top Gun, Bourne Identity, etc. Fry's also had a basket full of HD-DVDs for like $4 each. :(

Mpegger

Not at full quality? Are you sure you ripped it and removed all the extra 'security' features? I can play my ripped BD movies just fine at full 1080p, and the HD-DVD standard uses the same video and audio codec as BD movies.