• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any help for old PC gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kso

Hi, I am relatively new to any tech. Got my brains roasted gathering my current build in 2016. As you can clearly see it is old and budget but I never looked for 99999~ fps, I am just happy nerd playing games. I always preferred to buy a good thing which would last for 10 years and don't care much about trends (shame sometimes it is not working with pc builds cuz sockets, ports, cables, form factors etc).

So this is my system:
Chieftec GPS-600A8 600W
Asus PCI-Ex Radeon R9 380 Strix 4GB GDDR5
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz/5GT/s/6MB
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 (s1150, Intel Z97)
HyperX DDR3-1600 16384MB PC3-12800 x2
Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SATAIII for my Windows OC
Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATAIII 3D for my games

I usually spend my time in all kinds of rpgs, Dota 2, Destiny 2. Yesterday was the day I finally come to thought of changing my gear. My CPU choked when I opened two boxes of Lineage 2 for background gaming, Dota 2 and Firefox with 15 tabs (one of them stream on twitch). I cant really afford a build with new graphic card and my plan is to get new CPU for now. The latter would probably require a new motherboard.

I have read some cool stuff about Intel Core i5-10500 3.1GHz/12MB. As for motherboards - ASRock B460M Steel Legend / MSI MAG B460 Torpedo (s1200, Intel B460) ... need to check if ATX will fit in my case / or maybe should I look for B560 ?

The plan also includes changing thermal paste on my GPU and overclocking it. Though I am worried will it rise the necessity of buying new PSU?

I welcome any insights from more adept and knowledgeable folks around here :) Is this thread active? Or maybe I should post in "Intel CPUs" discussions?

All sections are open for threads. Since this is a build thread that covers multiple parts, General Hardware was the right spot.

Honestly, I'd buy a new PSU regardless. Chieftec is normally considered trash. Glad it worked for you this long, but it's time to get a quality unit. ;)

ATX will fit in your case because your current motherboard is ATX. ;)

So, what's your budget? You'll need CPU/Mobo/RAM as you have DDR3 and the platforms you're looking at are all DDR4.

...uh yeah forgot about ram...
ATX will fit in your case because your current motherboard is ATX.
One of the boards I mentioned is bigger by 4 cm from my current board and after I visually assessed the size left in my case I had my doubts.

Budget is around 850 USD. Erm I would prefer to spend less because I also want to buy 144 hz monitor and it will be 325 USD. But I can postpone monitor purchase for next year if the new parts would totally worth it.
Could I stick with my memory perhaps? Or there is no point upgrading to gear with DDR3.

Forgot to mention, also using Western Digital Black 1TB 3.5 SATA III for video/art/work files.

I picked out some parts. The GPU even being what it is is over half the cost of the build. If you do go with this keep in mind the power supply is minimal. You might want to spend a few more dollars for a larger one, but the CP cooler listed isn't really for large overclocks either. This would be able to play games with a nice step up from your older machine. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/OC-NighHawk/saved/#view=P3Pwgs

I will sound stupid but I don't want to buy a GPU. It is not a matter of money even, rather a matter of principle.
Plus GPU you included in build is not available in my country official stores from 2020, I am not risking buying a used one not to mention the price of shipping from amazon.

So this is my system:
Chieftec GPS-600A8 600W
Asus PCI-Ex Radeon R9 380 Strix 4GB GDDR5
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz/5GT/s/6MB
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 (s1150, Intel Z97)
HyperX DDR3-1600 16384MB PC3-12800 x2
Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SATAIII for my Windows OC
Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATAIII 3D for my games

I usually spend my time in all kinds of rpgs, Dota 2, Destiny 2. Yesterday was the day I finally come to thought of changing my gear. My CPU choked when I opened two boxes of Lineage 2 for background gaming, Dota 2 and Firefox with 15 tabs (one of them stream on twitch).

Your system seems pretty well-rounded overall, despite it's age. If it were me, I'd use this as an opportunity to do some more basic upgrades and spread your budget around a bit.

Toss the Chieftec PSU and buy a nice quality power supply that will last you 8-15+ years.

Get rid of that microscopic old 120GB SATA SSD and replace it with a 512GB-1TB NVMe SSD. Even if your motherboard does not have an M.2 slot, you can buy a PCIe card with an M.2 slot on it for like $5. You can eventually put that into the M.2 slot of a future motherboard.

Upgrade to a i7-4770k for ~$100 or a i7-4790k for ~$130. You can probably sell your i5-4690k and recoup at least half of that money. This would give you 8 threads, which WILL help you in situations with heavy multi-tasking, which sounds like exactly the situations you are having issues with.

Take all the money you saved and buy a NICE monitor. Almost nothing improves your computer experience more than a nice monitor - this is where you should splurge.

Milk the 4770k/4790k for a year or two and then upgrade to a DDR5 platform and/or upgrade your GPU (if prices become non-retarded by then).

Back