• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any info on a Matrox G400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Ok, i was walking to school, moaning about having to wake up at 8:40 on a monday morning..... when i saw a large box with COMPUTER printed on it. Lo and behold... a box of old computer crap. SCREW SCHOOL i thought, and carried it home. Anyway, i ended up going to school, but when i got home... i had 6 brand new(looking) pentium166's, 6 socket7 motherboards, and a whole load of isa and pci cards. Well, i thought, maybe i might find somthing worth sticking in my k6. In there i found a 2mb pci Matrox millennium MGA, and at the very bottom, hidden till then.... A Matrox Millennium G400 AGP. This was a gold mine, since my GF4 died, i was using a 32mb tnt2 card, from my k6, which was forced to use a 4mb pos card from s3. It seems this is getting a bit long, but read to the end please!! So i hook it up, 16mb, so what. Well, with an agp apeture size at 128mb and pc2100, it ran UT2003 at 800/600 norm settings at a good 50fps. WOW, tnt2 got that at 320 lowest. Even with half the ram, it more than doubled the tnt2. I ran 3dmark01, and got 2100 sumthing. It had no dot3, but had enviroment bumpmapping. SO i opened up doom3, which i couldnt run before, even with my gf4 mx, and it worked!! AND AT 10FPS. I hear thats pretty good. Anyway.... i was wondering if there are any fine tuned drivers/tweaks for a matrox. The gpu is 124mhz, and the ram 166. There is a divider, so at 150core the ram is above 200, and it runs stable. Anyone have similar resu;ts with this older, but incredible card? BTW, the tnt2 is back in its rightful spot in my k6-2.

THE END(wow that was long)

pip

I have one of those cards in my family box, I OCed it and got a little higher than you did and got up to 3400 in 3dm2001se, unfortunately there are no tweaked drivers like nvidia and ATI for lack of enthusiasm for matrox

OP
Yuriman

Yuriman

I cant tell why... maybe its the price? I got this one for free... hehe, WHY WAS HE THROWING IT OUT, the idiot. I wont complain tho.... also, i heard of 9700pro's gotting no more than 20fps in doom3.

penquissciguy

I have a G400 DualHead in my main box and enjoy it immensely. It still puts up a nice picture on my monitor and is fast enough for the limited gaming I do. The ability to run two monitors at once is a nice feature. I've never overclocked it, but I guess I paid quite a lot more for mine than you did. It's a fun card - enjoy it.:D

Ken

Anaxagoras1986

Its a shame how expensive the Matrox cards are. It would be cool to see cheap Parhelias and such around. Why dont they do this, I imagine they would make a fair amount more money!

pip

Anaxagoras1986 said:
Its a shame how expensive the Matrox cards are. It would be cool to see cheap Parhelias and such around. Why dont they do this, I imagine they would make a fair amount more money!

there will be several cheap parhelias coming around sometime "soon"