• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any input of which PS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damaster265

Registered
I recommend u go with the fortron one cos its the best there. Or go with the sparkle cos its got the same reference code but its 5 cents cheaper :D

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
rack04 said:
Is a pot adjustment needed out of the box to get good rails on the Fortron?

Yes and no. It all depends. Both the Fortron and Sparkle are the same psu. Sparkle is made by Fortron and both psu's have adjustable pots. You can't go wrong with either one.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
rack04 said:
Is a pot adjustment needed out of the box to get good rails on the Fortron?
My Sparkle came flawless out of the box. 12.15-12.2v, 5.01-5.05, didn't test the +3.3v rail but MBM5 show it as perfect, too. Just one tip, don't test voltages without a load applied on the power supply. That's what many people seemed to do and adjusted their pots for no reason.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
I was pleasantly suprised with the fan noise on mine - I can't hear it right now, the Aero 7+ and 120mm exhaust fan drowns it out. The rails were almost dead on out of the box, and I haven't touched the pots. Getting 3.37/12.15/5.10 at the moment with a meter.

Oklahoma Wolf

rack04 said:
Any opinions of the Aspire 500w linked to in the first post?

Topower made, and not one of their better units unfortunately. No match for the Fortron 530w.

OP
rack04

rack04

Can anyone post any information about how to adjust the rails on the Fortron 530? Also what are the test points for the each rail using a multimeter?

Oklahoma Wolf

Here's a thread on what does what in there: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=258903

To get the voltages, you can use any drive molex for the 5v (red) and 12v (yellow). To get the 3.3v, you'll need to get it from an orange wire on the ATX connector itself by gently sliding the probe into the back (or very carefully using a paper clip - be sure not to short it on anything - if the meter probe is too big). An alternate point to get the 3.3v is on the auxiliary connector - a 6 pin connector that looks like an old AT motherboard connector. You can connect the negative probe from the meter to any black wire coming out of the PSU.

Radical

Orange is 3.3V, Red is 5V, and Yellow is 12V. Get your readings directly from the ATX power connector for the most accurate results.

OP
rack04

rack04

I have noticed that all the pot voltages where taken at idle and load. What is the most effective way to get to full load?

OP
rack04

rack04

Just to make sure before ordering. Is there any difference between the Sparkle 530 and the Fortron 530? Newegg shows that their rails are different.

Oklahoma Wolf

No difference at all... still not sure what's up with the different ratings.