• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any OC.com Member make waterblocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
I am looking for someone to make me a waterblock. It's not a simple design. Actually I would think it's complicated. Anyway, if someone is interested I would send them a drawing that I will make up.

I wanted to see if someone who buy my design and make it, but they never respond so I don't really care anymore. If they take my work and use it now, I'll just sue them. Anyway let me know.
 
OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
Well it's basically an ordinary spiral design with pins of a heatsink in the channel. But I want them part of the block, not like glued or soldered.
 
OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
Would it be easier if we take an already made heatsink and used a saw to cut thin slits which would be where the walls of the channels would be? And then we could take a piece of copper and make a top piece that would slide down into the heatsink and actually make the channels?
 

res0r9lm

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Location
florida
CreePinG_DeatH said:
Would it be easier if we take an already made heatsink and used a saw to cut thin slits which would be where the walls of the channels would be? And then we could take a piece of copper and make a top piece that would slide down into the heatsink and actually make the channels?
if it were me. I would get a piece of copper and cut a maze in it place it over heatsink to see which pins need to be pulled on then pull them then solder the maze on to heatsink and then make a top.
 

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Joined
Sep 17, 2001
Location
Orange County
res0r9lm said:

if it were me. I would get a piece of copper and cut a maze in it place it over heatsink to see which pins need to be pulled on then pull them then solder the maze on to heatsink and then make a top.

Why not just take a copper heatsink, cut it down to a bit lower profile, solder some copper plate around the edges and get some water flowing through it?
 

res0r9lm

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Location
florida
Krusty said:


Why not just take a copper heatsink, cut it down to a bit lower profile, solder some copper plate around the edges and get some water flowing through it?
thats more less what I'm talking about but CD want to also add a maze to it.
 
OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
Yea ok. Now I just have to find an excellent heatsink that has pins. I know swiftech has a couple I think... But I have ot measure the base. If I remember correctly, the pins were pushed into the base or something. I want the base of my block to be like 1/8" thick and I don't know how deep the pins go. Does anyone remember who cut that swiftech apart? I probably could as him to measure.
 

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2001
Location
Twin Cities
We may be running in parallel universes. This is what i have been working on:

Hoot

bedonail.jpg
 
Last edited:

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Joined
Sep 17, 2001
Location
Orange County
Hoot said:
We may be running in parallel universes. This is what i have been working on:
Hoot

Woah...weird. Perhaps we can read eachothers minds?

QUICK! What number am I thinking of?
 

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2001
Location
Twin Cities
That base and pins are forged from one piece of copper. No drill and stake. It's a modified air cooled heatsink. The pins were originally about 1-1/2 long. Using a 3/8" long piece of small steel tubing as a gauge, I slid it over each individual pin and snipped it off with a pair of sharp, fine dikes so that they all are exactly 3/8" long.

It was quite the labor of love. I guess I've read one too many posts about water sinks as opposed to water blocks and they got me to thinking.

Hoot
 
OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
Hoot- Did you make that? If so, how are the pins attached? Were they forged with the heatsink or what? The idea looks good, but wouldn't it be easier to channel out a path in a piece of copper and just slide it over ? Well I guess it wouldn't really matter...

Oh, and if you made that, could you make one for me so I can try and get a design template going? Like so I can take measurements and stuff? That would be nipples. Thanx.
 
OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
Oh one more thing... I thought that if everything was too "smooth" you can add some turbulence by getting some acid and an eye dropper and letting the bottom get etched away for a bumpy bottom... Sound like it would work?