• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any open srce encryption sftwree 4 usbsticks that lets u decrypt w/o installing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Sorry for the 5 year old style title, i had to fit the question in there.

So it looks like most encryption software has to be installed on the system that you'd like to decrypt a thumb drive from....

I'm looking for something that you can just stick a thumb drive into any computer and get a popup for the decryption key to be entered automatically...

Either that or run a file within the thumbdrive itself that pops up the query fpr password for decryption.

Is there any open source software out there that can do this?

7zip is OS. As far as I can tell there is no free os soft for this (encrypt drive whole without needing the same software installed on 2nd pc). I found one free ap but it only encrypts (a partition) up to 8.23GB (more is $) on the flash (it's on my desktop & I'm on my tablet atm), but imo not worth the time. Winrar, peazip, 7zip, freearc (I use) all can create self-extracting encrypted archives (exe). Peazip is nice but is not entirely OS.
You could buy one of those fancy flash drives with a keypad or whatever. I gave one to my sis.

blackjackel, you might ask a moderator to move this thread to "Alternative Operating Systems" in this same area of the forum.

Back