• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any overclocking potential on B560 chipset mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

I'm getting too old for this. I randomly though I'd OC my 11700k since it looks like I never ran y-cruncher on it for hwbot. It was about an hour in before I remembered I had it on a B560 chipset mobo. DOH! If I understand correctly, nothing I do will make the CPU run above its pre-set clock ratios. Best I can do is relax power limit as far as I can so it'll boost as much as possible within those limits. Is this correct? I'm mostly interested in AVX-512 performance. It looks like that only goes to 4.2 GHz all core. I don't see any AVX-512 offset options, again presumably because I don't have a Z chipset mobo.

I guess that leaves me with OC ram to get any performance out of it? It looks like I have some options there since Intel allows more ram adjustment even on B chipset.

That's the first generation of low end boards to support memory "OC", and that's all you have going for you. This I think was to combat AMD on the lower tier to offer at least some performance gains.

However, for performance, I can give a couple pointers.

QuickCpu is a great app for core parking and turbo control. Also has a memory cleaner too. This will help keep them cores ready at all times. Sliders to 100%. This will take care of any throttling.

Try adjusting cpu performance with LLC. Guage that against offset and manual input, that is if the board let's you under-volt.

That's the first generation of low end boards to support memory "OC", and that's all you have going for you. This I think was to combat AMD on the lower tier to offer at least some performance gains.
It's long been an annoyance of mine that most enthusiast ram doesn't also include SPD profiles for standard speeds e.g. if you have XMP 3200 ram, why doesn't it support JEDEC 3200 also? Would open up a lot of performance even without XMP.

Anyway, I did give that a go. My modules were reported as Hynix CJR, dual rank 3200. Just by relaxing primaries I got it to 4000 although it wasn't stable. I got my benches done and called it a day.

QuickCpu is a great app for core parking and turbo control. Also has a memory cleaner too. This will help keep them cores ready at all times. Sliders to 100%. This will take care of any throttling.

Try adjusting cpu performance with LLC. Guage that against offset and manual input, that is if the board let's you under-volt.
It never throttles under all core load at stock. Only pulls 200W or so, so even a mid range air cooler like I'm using is sufficient. Maybe it could help if I do single core but that wasn't my focus.

if you have XMP 3200 ram, why doesn't it support JEDEC 3200 also?
There are some kits that have JEDEC 3200 as the base for DDR4 as opposed to 2133 or 2666 or w/e. But those are rare birds. I'd have to guess JEDEC 3200 isn't more out there for compatibility reasons. While most would run it, some don't and that's what the JEDEC component is for, compatibility.

Last edited:
There are some kits that have JEDEC 3200 as the base for DDR4 as opposed to 2133 or 2666 or w/e. But those are rare birds. I'd have to guess JEDEC 3200 isn't more out there for compatibility reasons. While most would run it, some don't and that's what the JEDEC component is for, compatibility.
I feel this is 100% a ram problem, not a CPU support problem. If you buy standard ram, that is, ram not targeted at enthusiasts, they have JEDEC profiles at rated speed and down. So the system should be able to pick one that it supports even if not the module's highest speed. If you buy enthusiast ram, again, I'm using XMP 3200 as an example, generally they only have one standard profile at 2133, maybe 2400. Which is annoying on the off chance you want to throw it in an office Dell for use but it has to run at 2133 as it is lacking a JEDEC profile at 3200.

I can only speculate at the reasons. One may be they can't validate it actually runs at JEDEC timings, since they may be using lower bin chips and overclocking the crap out of them for XMP use. In other words, 3200 at 1.2v may not be possible even at standard timings. XMP modules are typically 1.35v outside of the most insane OC kits. The other reason I'd speculate over is that there isn't room in the SPD for too many profiles, but this feels less likely.

Many kits have 4 profiles... why it can't be one... I don't even have a guess. Your first reason seems valid.

Back