• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any point getting S754?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hello!

I was planning on getting an S754 system next week.
I've heard of price drops for S939, is this true in the UK aswell as US?

I want to go 64bit SOON!

Should I go ahead an get S754 now or get S939?

Fank-ooo

sure 754 is a hell of a lot cheaper for nearly the same performance.

939 chips (non-fx) themselves are identical in performance at a given speed. the added benefit of dual channel memory has so far been shown not to enhance performance much if at all.

754 is where its at right now for enthusiasts, get one, you won't be dissapointed :)

This is probably the most-asked question in AMD-land right now, and its quite understandable. Personally, I would go the 939 route if only for its long-term prospect as a mainstream platform. Performance-wise between the two sockets, there's nothing really that significant between one or the other as shown in some reviews and benchmarks. So it seems that the 939's dual-channel is only to help alleviate its 512k L2 cache handicap against that of the single-channel 754's 1Mb L2.

So S754 1mb cache is really the best all round right now?

Heck I may even go with a 754 right now before I go to college. Im fed up with my intel system only because I have a terrible board and just cant OC because of my sound card and other BS.

Basically it would be better for me to sell off my current 2.6 p4 and buy either a mobile barton or a 2800+ or 3000+ 754 after the price drop. So yes I see a good point in getting this.

I have a choice here.
3000+ Newcastle
3200+ Clawhammer

Which one?
I'm getting the Newcastle for £100 GBP and the Clawhammer for £Zero.

Which one would be the quickest after overclocking on air?

Quattro said:
I have a choice here.
3000+ Newcastle
3200+ Clawhammer

Which one?
I'm getting the Newcastle for £100 GBP and the Clawhammer for £Zero.

Which one would be the quickest after overclocking on air?

Cant argue with a free CPU. I would try with the free one and then if that didnt work so well buy the newcastle ;).

David said:
Cant argue with a free CPU. I would try with the free one and then if that didnt work so well buy the newcastle ;).
no kidding. free always is better :D

I have a clawhammer 3200+ and I can tell you that it is fast! No disappointments here :) I've ran it up to 2.36GHz but I like keeping it back at 2.3GHz. Plenty of power for me ;)

I'm going to get both.
Would a Newcastle clock higher, to the extend that it would outpreform a Clawhammer at 2.3ghz?

Newcastle will clock higher than Clawhammer, but personally I would choose the 3200+ NC because it already runs at 2.2GHz- I've seen them on 2,7GHz on air.
Imagine what a chip like that could do under my watercooling... :santa:

My two cents for S754 vs. S939: I do not know.
It's a hard time imo, because of the price drop. There are good boards for S754, but I just realized that the Abit KV8pro cannot hold two modules of ram and the OCZ booster- kind of crappy.
Well, the guru allows up to 3.2V, so that should be enough anyway.

After the price drop, S939 isn't bad. But for the money, I would still choose S754. wait for price drop and go with S754 NEWCASTLE 3400+, you'll be very happy.

nice avatar maxvla, ueto aya's damn cute. :cool:

oc_byagi said:
After the price drop, S939 isn't bad. But for the money, I would still choose S754. wait for price drop and go with S754 NEWCASTLE 3400+, you'll be very happy.

nice avatar maxvla, ueto aya's damn cute. :cool:

Do they clock that much better than 3200s do?
I know that the 3700+ are absolutly incredible, but I didn't hear so much about the 3400+.
Or did you just mentioned them because they are Clawhammers?

Thanks for the name, by the way :)

My Clawhammer is on air & its at 2550 right now with 1.7v. I want not trade it for any size NC.

jess1313 said:
My Clawhammer is on air & its at 2550 right now with 1.7v. I want not trade it for any size NC.
well your results are pretty good. most people hit a brickwall at 2300-2400 for a 1mb cache clawhammer. (at least on air)

The reason I will go 939 is because of the upgrade path. The 754 is likely to end with the 3700+. So it will be easy to upgrade on the 939 going through next year after 90nm etc is introduced and faster cpus come out.

I'd personally go for the S754, you can just upgrade later anyways. A S754 3400+ (even a 3200+) will be a good proc for the next year+. I mean, I had my AMD 2200+ for a year and a half, and it still kept up.

Back