• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any programs to compress DVD file size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shakka

I have a ton of ripped dvd episodes from my family guy discs on my hard drive and noticed it is starting to take up quite a bit of room. Is there any program that compresses each episode to a smaller file size, but still allows it to be watched and with good quality?

I'd recommend FairUse Wizard for saving individual episodes, or DVDShrink if you want to compress the entire DVD to an image or VIDEO_TS folder (to play back like an actual DVD).

You could compress them to an archive with something like winrar, and then extract them when you want to watch. Not sure if this is possible though, such as if you intend to put them on a portable player.

I'm actually in the same boat. I have a huge collection of TV on DVD, and would like to find a way to keep it all in a computer and organized so I don't put wear and tear on the discs.. Takes too much HD space though. I have probably 80 seasons of different shows varying from 2-6 DVDs each.. Nightmare.. Yes, the Family Guy Freakin' Party Pack is one of them :p Thing has like 17 DVDs alone IIRC

I have a ton of ripped dvd episodes from my family guy discs on my hard drive and noticed it is starting to take up quite a bit of room. Is there any program that compresses each episode to a smaller file size, but still allows it to be watched and with good quality?
If you only watch these videos on the PC, you can transcode them to Divx, which may require only about 20% of the file space. You can use Ulead Video Studio (or Sony Vegas) with the Divx Pro Codec. Beware, transcoding takes a long time but does benefit greatly from an overclocked quad processor. Media Player Classic plays these files well on the PC.

Note, you can burn the Divx files on a standard DVD platter (as data files) but you can't play them in a conventional standard definition DVD player.

www.doom9.org

you best bets is 1 of 2 options

x264 - will give you the best compression and quality - but pending how you plant to watch them, wont work in DVD players

xvid / divx - can be played on standalone dvd players if your supports divx play back

both can be played from your computer to your tv via a video out

www.doom9.org
or www.dvdrhelp.com / convert section

Back