• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Recommended PC Speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

For the longest time I had a pair of Logitech X-140 speakers and I had no complaints about them; I thought they sounded amazing for the price point. But after a few years, when I turn the volume up to a certain point and bassy sounds start playing, the speakers started to make almost like a crackling noise. I guess they just got old. So I tried to get new ones, but Logitech no longer sold them. I looked at what they offered currently for about the same price point, and I ended up picking the Z200 speakers out... I figured since they were 10W and the X-140's were apparently 5W, they shouldn't be much worse, right? Well, I must say I'm very, very disappointed with the way they sound; they're not the worst speakers I've ever had or anything, but they lack any kind of richness, or "mid", if you will, to them. They just sound really cheap and it's sort of a night-and-day difference from the speakers I used to have.

So my question is, does anybody know of any speakers that are currently being sold out there that sound good and do not use a subwoofer? Long story short, I just want a set of stereo speakers and that's all. Anything not too much more expensive than $50 is what I'm looking for. I figure if the X-140's could have that performance, so can others. Thank you.

A pair of large speakers (can probably find some cheap from Goodwill or Salvation Army) and a digital amplifier.

I don't think there's a specific model of speakers or digital amplifier that's particularly notable on the used market. Try to find some with 12" woofers since they also play the role of a subwoofer. For the amplifier, one without HDMI but with S/PDIF often goes for super cheap nowadays.

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are, for the cost, one of the better overall computer speaker solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

This model has been around forever and still hold their own against anything that's come along.

You won't find anything "good" for $50. At least not good in the sense others will also consider them good.

The suggestion of getting an amp and speakers second hand is solid, as you'll have more flexibility and likely better results but it doesn't sound like you know anything about audio and that might be a tad daunting compared to plug-n-play speakers solutions. You will still likely not find anything of quality for $50, even second hand.

You may need to raise your price point or lower your expectations. Have you considered headphones instead? At least for $50 you might find something "good".

Last edited:
An amplifier and two speakers are just as easy to set up as 2.1 PC speakers. About the only thing more "plug and play" would be a soundbar.

An amplifier and two speakers are just as easy to set up as 2.1 PC speakers. About the only thing more "plug and play" would be a soundbar.

Not really, getting the sound from the PC into the amplifier can be tricky depending on the connections available from the PC/into the amp. Then matching an appropriate pair of speakers for the amp's output rating. You may not realize there's people who know NOTHING about it, and don't want to learn either. For them there's pc speakers.

The S/PDIF fiber input on a standalone digital amplifier works exactly the same as the ones on a good pair of PC speakers. (Probably better, in that standalone amplifiers typically will accept surround encoding while 2.1 PC speakers typically do not.) Matching up the power is a myth for typical usage - average power is on the order of a few watts or less at usual listening volume.

I would have responded sooner but this website stopped notifying me of responses for some reason so I had to manually check out the thread...

Thank you all for the recommendations but all of those have subwoofers. As I said I was looking for speakers without them. I don't have a place to put a subwoofer.

To anyone thinking you can't get speakers that sound "good" without one, as I said, the Logitech X-140's I thought sounded very good, and compared to the Z200's I now have, they were absolutely golden. That being said, I doubt those are the only speakers in existence that have that sound to them. Sure, it depends on how you define "good", but to me, I was satisfied with the way they sounded. The Z200's sound really cheap and staticky to me.

THESE are well liked by users and reviews alike. And at $50, they fit in your budget. And they do not have a subwoofer.
I'd take a look and see if they're something for you to consider.

- - - Updated - - -

THESE are well liked by users and reviews alike. And at $50, they fit in your budget. And they do not have a subwoofer.

Alternatively, I found while browsing Amazon what appears to be a newer version of those same speakers for $1 cheaper HERE.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively, I found while browsing Amazon what appears to be a newer version of those same speakers for $1 cheaper HERE.

Thank you so much, I'll look into those.

Back