• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Torchlight players?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Just wondering if there are and what about the game you like/dislike?

to me the game is solid but the one thing that keeps nagging me. Is the cartoonish look of the game, reading about it being from people that did Diablo,etc. i would have hoped for a more real/dark style like Diablo to Torchlight. All i can think of is they did it Cartoonish to get more kids to play it *shurgs* but what do i know...

The classes are fine but you have 155 well 154 total points you can assign. yet each skill maxes at 10? kind of hard to make a specialized class, like a all out Berserker Tank. i dont get the having skills to have higher level spells? Even then they dont effect spells that are skills, huh?

Im sure they did everything for a reason... im just left sometimes with a this is a really good game. then with a WTH moment of why doesnt that effect this or why you can go higher.

I honestly regret buying the game a day after. It got boring fast....I bought it for 20, its now at 10. Titan Quest + expansion for $10 is a much better deal for a much better D2 clone.

One of the reasons for the cartoonish graphics I think is because one of the makers of fate worked on it and they in a way stated they wanted for torchlight to be an updated nicer version of that with MULTIPLAYER even though that has not come out yet.

Evil, you're getting older and aged faster than you realized. :D ...lol

i should have just played D2 again... maybe i should get that Mac V5 5500 bios updated so i can use it on my PC... then play D2 the way it was meant to be played WITH GLIDE! :cool:

i like the game cause it feels like D/D2 but still the limited skills max to 10,wth... max me wonder what/who thought that was a good idea... with a max lvl of 10 that allows you to max the character well rounded.. not what i was thinking, should have read online first... All i kept reading was people that did Diablo helped make this game and it is so fun!... :shrug:

It does look like a fun game and I think the graphics don't look too bad at all. I wish it would have the depth like Diablo but as mentioned, if the skills only max out at 10, then that's pretty lame.

I'm about 2 hours into it. Got it on steam for 5 bucks (how could anyone resist!)!

Using the Alchemist, though they should just call him a mage, because that's what he seems like to me(I ain't convertin' anything!). It's still fun though.

Also, for people who want to play a game on their netbooks, it has "netbook mode".

I'd give the game maybe like a 7.5/10 or a 7, its a fun time.

I
LOVE
IT

That said, you know my bias =).

It is not Diablo. That's a fact. The length and depth of the game, in terms of writing and voice acting, is definitely smaller-budget (as is reflected in the price). Music is so-so, there's much less voice acting, and less of a myriad of unique skills.

Those concessions made though... the skills ARE much more forgiving if not following a strategy, the visuals and sound effects are very immersive, and the challenge everyone's complaining about is certainly there if you crank the difficulty up (or stick with good ol' Hardcore mode)....

Complaining about "cartoony" graphics relative to D2 sounds petty. The game is gorgeous, and if you need more blood splatter to enjoy your gaming experiences then I'd suggest taking up another hobby like fishing or dog-walking :)!

[EDIT: in all seriousness, if you want more of an "M" rating out of torchlight you could always google some of the already impressive mods, adding "Knee Deep in Blood" and "Revealing Armors" ;);) will definitely give you the M rating you seem to require!]

I also got it for $5 during the holiday sale, and if I could go back in time I'd tell myself to get it at $10 earlier (as it is now).

I am eagerly awaiting D3, don't get me wrong, but Torchlight is a wonderful fix in the meantime!

Last edited:
I must be getting old...After playing the Demo for an hour. I realized it was too repetitious and I might not even like Diablo 3 when it come out. Games like Assassins Creed 1 and 2 and GTA4 are what I enjoy now.

I played the demo and its a dang nice game. Cartoony, kinda feels like wow mashed into never winter nights. I like it. I will probably end up getting it.

I must be getting old...After playing the Demo for an hour. I realized it was too repetitious and I might not even like Diablo 3 when it come out. Games like Assassins Creed 1 and 2 and GTA4 are what I enjoy now.

I'm not sure what the demo covers, but I'm many hours in and it doesn't feel very repetitious yet... I can see that happening if you were limited to the first few levels or so, but all aspects of the environment/monsters change frequently as you push further down...

That said I fully get where you're coming from... I used to love the GTA franchise but now it puts me to sleep!

i was reading about a guy who was making a jedi class, seemed interesting.

just imagine a star wars dungeon rpg :D

ah haha!

Someone re-did the Diablo 3 Barbarian trailer using Torchlight. For some perspective if you're still on the fence - the only mod in that video is the custom map to match the D3 trailer. All the abilities/items are stock for the berserker character. :)

Looking at that trailer makes me want to play Torchlight even more! I was a HUGE Diablo 2 fan back in the day. Sure it was repetitive (and I'd be surprised if Torchlight isn't as well) but there's something about crushing hordes of enemies that doesn't get old. The one thing I noticed in the D3 trailer was that it looked like the pace was a touch slow. The fast pace of Diablo was what kept me entertained! I'm not asking to be able to rip through the enemies like a bunch of rag-dolls (I mean, don't make the game too easy), fast pace means you can die faster too :p

The trailer also makes me love the engine of this game. It looks incredibly modable. Wan't the game to look less cartoonish and darker? I wouldn't be surprised to see people redo the in-game models and textures to get just that feel. Even the lighting and particle effects (alright, I don't know if they'd be able to do that, but I wouldn't doubt it). What's really exciting for me is the idea that the canvas is there: it's all ready to put 30 enemies on screen and have you bash them to pieces, all the details are up to you.

That is all, of course, assuming the engine is as easy to work with as it LOOKS from that video and sounds from what people are posting about other mods.

great fun game, but short - took about 5-7hours start to finish as the barb class. At the end you end up with a crazy damage char. All normal mobs die in 1 hit.

if it gets multiplayer i'll pick it up again but for now I'm done

Couple of things I liked about the game. One is the mouse follow. To me that means much less clicking around to walk/run. The pet was a nice addition. No going back to town and dump loot for coin. Your pet does this. Also on the pet. is being able to use them as a mule. Also morphing them into something else is fun. It would of been a tad more fun if you could equip it with more gear options and give it skill points.

One thing I actually enjoyed about the game was scrounging around for loot and getting unpredictable drops. Then go into town and fill up my loot chests. If I wanted share between my toons. I could and fill gear sets up for each class.

What i did not like. Is the levels got boring pretty fast. Once you get to the lower dungeons. It feels like you seen every permeation of all the layouts. The grind of going talking to the two NPCs, get a name. Go kill the NPC. Get a lame reward for it. Not much to it.. In terms of being rewarding. The quests after a while. I simply stopped doing.

Back