• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody feel up for a debate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw on some site where a guy ran 30 feet of copper tubing down an air conditioner duct to try to cool the water in his system in the summer. He had a separate pump to handle that loop. It went back into his reservoir. Don't remember if it made much difference.

joshua, you'd probably have a pretty serious condensation problem with that type of mini-air conditioner setup. Don't you know that water and electronics don't mix?

BO

Blowing cold air on something doesn't cause condensation.
A cold something in warmer air causes condensation.

It's a fairly standard benching team tactic to duct AC air (or outside air, in the frozen north winter) into the case or directly to the CPU cooler. Works great, unless it's too cold and it freezes the water in the heatpipes of course :D

Well that teeny little Cooler using a TEC and fins isn't going to creat very much cool air anyway, it's a waste of money. Think of the wattage needed to cool air to a low enough temp, the amount of surface area needed for the fins, and the power requirements to even get effective. Where will you dump the heat coming off the hot side of the TEC, or the extra heat coming off the PSU to convert the AC to DC to power it? You make more overall heat than you remove, it's physics.

You won't have a problem with condensation with that thing..........

Think a window air conditioner size tells it all.

Hi,
a friend of mine told me he has in the server case a lower temperature that in the room. He reaches that by fans that push out the air, and create a vacuum effect.

No I don't think water cooling has reached the maximum developement.

For example
I have a finger ring that changes color with different temperatures, I would like to add something to the water to have the similar effect, and probably it will some time come in the future. Until now I cud only find a paint that randomly changes color with the temperature, and don't feel to mix it with the water.

Also It cud be interesting to add heat pump technology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump
to watercooled systems.

And about the cooler, I would search online for small fridges, maybe car fridges, there the cooling piece shouldn't be too big to put it in the reservoir.

But be careful, depending on humidity and air/water temperature difference, you might have condensation on the tubes.
I once find a table whith the values of humidity and temperature that showed what was the maximum allowed difference.

Hi,
a friend of mine told me he has in the server case a lower temperature that in the room. He reaches that by fans that push out the air, and create a vacuum effect.

I have often wondered--For as much as sub-ambient discussions come up, I really don't see anyone talking about avoiding condensation with vacuum. Theoretically, if you could build a vac-chamber and remove as much air as possible from environment where the components are, you should be able to avoid condensation. Then, you just have to worry about your water staying liquid, if we're talking about below freezing temps. Of course, without air, you'll have to water cool everything that produces heat, as there will be no air to carry the heat away.

Fans, even high end server fans, can't pull a vacuum worth mentioning. Really hardcore dual counter-rotating fans can do 3" of water. 12" of water is 0.45PSI. So you can get maybe 0.1PSU of vacuum, assuming your case is sealed and has no air coming in at all.

It's also worth noting that in a vacuum heatsinks are useless at the temps we run.

Should we look into carbon nanotubes for cooling? I know the research is still in its early stages, but I think this will be the next best thing for cooling.

Theres been some research heading down this road for TIMs. A friend who works at sandia was telling me about something he did some testing with. It was a carbon nano structure powder with a liquid activator that turns it into an instant epoxy almost.

Man this thread bringing up some old memories. I cant for the life of me find alot of the old forum posts, but back in 02 or 03 there was a member who built a vortex powered evap cooler that could do -14c without any fans. Given that cooling tower cost WELL over 1k and was 5ft by 3ft it was still bad ***.

I also did an evap build thats linked in my thread using an actual evaporative room cooler which I was able to use for ~ -11C temps. It was a quick and dirty experiment.

Back