• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody own an Asus laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I want to know about the quality...What's the feel like? I am coming from a Dell Inspiron 1520.

This is the one I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639&Tpk=g51vx

15.6" 1080p
P8700 2.53GHz
4GB RAM
GTX260M 1GB
2 HDD Bays (1x 320, 1x free)

All for $1099! I wont need one for another 3-4 months so I hope they come out with a similar one with i3/i5/i7 or even PhenomII mobile /w DDR3 RAM, but I want to know about the quality.

Thanks

well I recently bought this bad boy and I couldnt be happier. I was looking for a similar set up to my desktop that I built for gaming and such, this thing rocks.

I have the 2 x 500 gb HD version and Windows 7 x64. Its huge and doesnt feel cheaply made one bit.

The only issue i have is battery life (w/ roughly 2 hours from full charge to dead @ balanced settings) but who the hell am I kidding this thing wasnt built to conserve power...

Yes... Asus notebooks are amazing. Ive seen some lists that have them at a consistent #2 overall. Cant remember who #1 was though...

oh yeah... did I mention I got it for $500 off of craigslist? lol

I own a F8SP and my mother in law just bought a P50IJ and I like them both. I have had mine since 6/08 and have had zero problems with it. I play GTA4, Fallout 3, COD WAW without any problems. The P50 has a nice checker board texture and feels very well built for its price. I would definatly buy another ASUS laptop.

My lil sis in law just got one, not sure of the model but it was $599 somewhere. I like the "feel" of it better than the toshiba, especially on the keyboard. But it was a bit more expensive, less power, and less performance. I, and my wife are performance *****s though. ;)

My auntie has the Asus X58L. Just a cheap lappy:

Cely CPU (560 I think)
1GB RAM
120GB HDD
Intel GMA3100

It runs Win7 rather well and has a nice carbon fiber effect on the lid and palm rest. Built quality seems very high for such a cheap lappy :)

Haven't ever owned one, though I've used a friend's on several occasions and was seriously considering buying a different one (the i7 version of what you linked to, the G51J which goes for about $1500 last I knew, FYI).

Build quality from my friend's ASUS and of the model I was looking at, which I had made a point to check out in stores, seemed very good and solid. Nice design, decent to nice materials, felt pretty solid. It definitely felt a lot nicer and a fair amount more solid than my father's Inspiron 1525.

Obviously, one thing to note would be the poor battery life you'll be getting with a small battery and a GTX 260M (even more so with the i7 version). One of my biggest concerns against ASUS laptops is that of every single one I've seen, the screen has been poor at best; poor colors/contrast and awful veiwing angles instantly distracted me with every model I've seen in person.

I'm not too picky about viewing angles or battery life as long as it'll get ~1.5-2hours on low settings.

From the pictures they look very snazzy, but you never know if that inherently means all shiny paint, with no foundation underneath.

Sounds like you guys have persuaded me to go with Asus in the next few months unless Dell can improve the XPS16! I do love the XPS16's looks though....man...

I havent really had any issues with the screen on mine... looks amazing (till i jacked with calibration settings and cant figure out how to get em back to default).

One other thing to note froim most of my own research and asking questions the Asus laptops are the only ones still coming with recovery disks from the manufacturer AND they are damn near bloatware free if you dont count cyberDVD... well, besides the asus utilities which I find myself using on a damn near regular basis. Also if the one yore buying is coming with Vista rather than 7 (which I dont know why it would) you should be pleased to know that the upgrade from vista to 7 is damn near flawless. :)

I'm not too picky about viewing angles or battery life as long as it'll get ~1.5-2hours on low settings.

From the pictures they look very snazzy, but you never know if that inherently means all shiny paint, with no foundation underneath.

Sounds like you guys have persuaded me to go with Asus in the next few months unless Dell can improve the XPS16! I do love the XPS16's looks though....man...

I made a visit to the local Fry's to check out the G51J close up. When I say awful viewing angles, I don't mean the +/-45 degrees horizontal or such-and-such degrees vertical; I mean I couldn't get the screen to look right while viewing it straight on as I would be if it were sitting on my desk or lap. It was bad, and one of my deciding factors against it. I'd be much more inclined towards ASUS laptops in the future if only I could get a decent screen on one! They are very good laptops in most other aspects.

As for the Dell, can I ask what your concerns with it are? My decision was between the G51J and the Studio XPS 16. I ultimately went with the XPS 16 and it's happily turned out better than I expected.

I have an Asus netbook, and the quality and build is good. Just gotta see how long it lasts. The 1 year warranty it carries could be scary.

I have an Asus A7T from about 3 years ago. It served me wonderfully for the majority of the time, but any real gaming leads to overheating issues. It's gotten to the point where the computer will just shut off every time I start playing a game or do any other CPU-intensive operation. This just happened this week, actually. I plan on opening her up and reseating the heatsink along with some AS5 to see if I can bring it back down to normal temps. The laptop is also sitting on a ThermalTake Massive23 cooler so airflow isn't causing the issue.

Back