• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody running to operating systems on their computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Networker

Disabled
Hey guys i was wondering if any of have to different operating systems running on thier computer, i have xp and i want to run windows 2000 professional aswell, now i have xp on my 40 gig hardrive and i just got 3.2 gig hardrive for cheap of course to run windows 2000 professional, now i am experimenting to run to hardrives on my computer the 40 gig hardrive is for my xp and the other hardrive will be for windows 2000 and for games i want to play etc, has anybody done it? what exactly do i have to do in the BIOS and CMOS to run two different hardrives, i probably will need an extra ribbon cable right to attach to the new hardrive and connect it to the cable attached to my 40 gig hardrive that of course connects to the secondary 40 pin ide controller.

repo man11

Hello and welcome to the forums!
You really have two separate questions here.
As far as running two different operating systems goes, yes I dual boot Win98 and Win XP. I hardly ever use 98 now, but it is still nice to have as backup. If you have a primary 40 gig drive, I would think it was best to partition that drive and install 2000 on another partition. 3.2 gigs is pretty small for 2000, and that drive can't be any faster than ATA33, or at least I've never seen a drive that small that was faster than that.
Connecting the second drive to your computer is easy enough, you have to make sure that you have the master/slave jumpers configured correctly, other than that you simply connect them to the cable, and your computer will (usually) do the rest.
I don't have time to read through the whole thing, but this site looks like it has a pretty good "how to" on dual booting XP/2000. http://www.winxpfix.com/page5.htm

Last edited:

flyingember

Registered
why xp and 2k at the same time? there's very few differences between them. its almost pointless.

heck, 98 and xp is pointless and it's more common.

to, too, and two are all different. you almost had me confused.

Disputant

My work computer is a dual boot with the following:

40 gig drive
c: Win98 SE (fat32)
d: Win XP Pro (NTFS)
e: files (fat32)

I partitioned it out with an IBM utility to 10/10/20 gig drives. Installed win98 first, then XP. After I was done I converted my XP file system to NTFS.

The only reason I did this was that my company still uses some old dos based foxpro applications so I have to run them on 98.

EDIT: Almost forgot, welcome to the forums!