• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anybody seen this? - Intel's next-gen memory (phase-change?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What benefits does it offer? Larger capacity? Lower latency? Larger bandwidth? Lower power consumption?

Please englighten me because I'm clueless about phase-change memory. :D

Good find, Richard!

lol well i didn't read much into it...just thought i'd post it up.
it dones't sound like it'll be released to the public for some time though.
First, the researchers built a grid of wires into the chip so a computer can easily control the writing of a 1 or 0 in each of the 64 million memory cells. Second, they announced their manufacturing process lets them stack several layers atop each other so memory can be packed more densely in a given volume. ...In short, it could combine conventional computer memory's high speed with flash memory's low cost, low power demands, and high capacity. Having lots of fast memory on hand could simplify computer hardware and software that today must reckon with a hierarchy of storage technologies that trade off performance for capacity.

another important point...
For another thing, phase-change memory could get around difficulties of shrinking current memory technologies to ever-smaller sizes. And for another, it could lower the power consumption, reducing waste heat and extending battery life.

Basically lets you stack chips. the are more efficient as well, otherwise stacking would not be possible.

Back