• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else get in on the fun?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theflyingrat

Did anyone else take advantage of Newegg's price drop of the Albatron FX5900PV? I did - $199 shipped; I should get it in a few days. I'd done some searching, and lots of folks said it was a solid card - much faster than just about any other $200 card I could find.

Anyhow, I was wondering - which drivers were folks nowadays using to get a good combination of visual quality and performance with their FX5900s? I'm usually of the school that you install the latest drivers if at all possible, but is this the best choice for the FX5900 cards? Are some of the old 45.xx series drivers better than the 51s or 52s? Just looking for some good ole' subjective input here. Thanks!

stratcatprowlin

cool

sounds like fun to me! too bad i just got a 5600 ultra! o well it was only $130 but if i had $200 to spend i would go ur way for sure!have fun! as far as the drivers go,im like u,i usually go with the newest ones cause i figure they got the bugs out from the last release?

Albuquerque

Not that they're "certified", but most everyone I talk to with an FX card seems to like the absolute-newest 53.03 dets. I'm sure you can google for them or maybe even find them on NVIDIA's website.

As for the rock-bottom price on that Albatron board, I give you a thumbs-up. I'm not an NV fan at the moment, but I can't argue with a $200 board with VIVO features and overclockability into the stratosphere. ATI's only competition at that level would be a 9800np, and they all seem to be at the $230+ price point (they were $200 for a very short while at CircuitCity, but no longer.

Here's hoping that the NV40 does even better.

OP
theflyingrat

theflyingrat

I've actually since used the 53.03 drivers, and I think they're actually pretty good. I've looked long and hard through UT2K3, IL-2, Morrowind, and Red Orchestra, and I haven't experienced any of the legendary 'image quality' issues that folks have been running their mouths about for the past 6 months.

The reason I actually got this instead of a 9800 non-pro (my second choice) was because the cheapest I could find the 9800 for was around $260. That would have been stretching my budget a bit. They're available for cheaper via ebay, but I'll be dead before I do business with anywhere on there - I just don't trust it. I'll stick with Newegg/Mwave/other reputable online retailers, that I actually have a chance of contacting if the thing doesn't work.

I'm still quite happy with it - as a replacement for my Ti4200, it's been excellent. The bottleneck at most resolutions has gone from being my vid card to my poor Celeron. Guess who's next in line to be replaced! ;)