• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else here flash their Radeon LE's with a retail Bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkyTechnician

After reading the posts on rage3d.com, I decided to flash my radeon LE with the retail bios.

Runs great and got me a 2900 om 3dmark2k1 without any tweaking. Pretty cool I must say. Now I REALLY do have the retail version (sans gpu fan I guess)

Amiel

AKDUDE

I hear you loud and clear! I could not get the software off the link the guy posted over at the other website, but I did post that I needed it mailed to me.

Hopefully ill get the software from that guy that posted soon.

One question... does it gain you anything over a tweaked LE? I already have hyper Z enabled, and im running at 185 mhz on the clock speed. Installing the Retail bios will just let it default with hyperz and a 168 clock right?
AKDUDE

OP
FunkyTechnician

FunkyTechnician

AKDUDE (May 04, 2001 02:27 p.m.):
I hear you loud and clear! I could not get the software off the link the guy posted over at the other website, but I did post that I needed it mailed to me.

Hopefully ill get the software from that guy that posted soon.

One question... does it gain you anything over a tweaked LE? I already have hyper Z enabled, and im running at 185 mhz on the clock speed. Installing the Retail bios will just let it default with hyperz and a 168 clock right?
AKDUDE

Exactly, AK

I believe that my default speed is now 167 and hyper-z is enabled without any tweakers. Let me know if you want me to e-mail the files to you if you don't get them promptly, I'll be online for a while playing Tribes2.

Amiel

AKDUDE

Hey guys, if either one of you could email me the new bios that would be great! I never did get them from RAGE3d, but I havn't looked in a couple days. None of the links have worked so far, including yours EARTHDICK.
Thanks!
AKDUDE

earthdick

AKDUDE,
The file is on its way to your email address. I tried the link again and it works only when you cut and paste it into a web browser. That Helrizon really puts a kink in my shorts. Good luck and report back your results.
Thanks.

AKDUDE

Works great Earth ****! However im still building up the guts to actually flash the card. For every 5 people at rage3d.com that do it, one seems to screw it up.
I do have a PCI card that I could use to help flash it back though if I have a failure.
AKDUDE

Radak

Registered
Hey Arkdude. The process is really simple. You can't really screw up, just follow the instructions and you will be fine :). I flashed my Radeon LE, and it is working just fine :D. Just some words of courage.... :D

Radak

ExtremeOC

hey earthdick, the prob with your ink @ the top is:

THERE IS A PERIOD AFTER .ZIP!!!
LOL!

this sounds neat. But it wont double the mempath, but i'd like to see anand or someone compare the LE flashed retail to a radeon 32SDR, 32DDR, and 64DDR ViVo... and also a normal LE with Hyper-Z hack and one without.

Also, does it ALWAYS have hyper Z now? or does it still not work in like OpenGL?? if it works, i'll start putting them in customers computers =)

earthdick

Thanks XtremeOC - I fixed the link in the original message plus I whipped up a web page for the bios a few messages down this thread. It does enable HyperZ according to the gurus at Rage3d.com, and I can verify the core/mem speed of 148 is changed to the retail version (165 on my machine, your mileage may vary). I still use Radeon Tweaker to get a little more out of it. When I get a fan on that heatsink I'll try to overclock.

AKDUDE

Nope, still havn't flashed the Radeon yet I simply have not really had the time to sit down to do it.

A RADEON LE is a DDR Card, with the Hyperz disabled and a lower clockspeed. Thats it. Still has thee memory channels or whatever you call them.

The Bios mod will make the LE a standard 32DDR.

Of course most of us here already have the HYPERZ enabled with a REG hack, and have the cards overclocked to around 190 or so.

Not a bad deal for a card that is 70 bucks right now.
AKDUDE