• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever heard of PowerMem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike360000

On some advice from some peeps here I ordered some ram from Z-buy thinking it would be real Samsung memory. Seems others thought it was. It arrived today and it turns out to be some generic ram from a company called PowerMem. It has the Samsung chips, and it is a 512 meg stick 2700 DDR. My questions are: Has anyone heard of PowerMem? Anyone have any oc'ing experience with PowerMem? Is it worth keeping or sending back? Below is a repeat of the post I posted in another thread here:

Well I just got some ram from Z-buy. They said it was Samsung, BUT? Well the only thing that says Samsung is the chips themselves! On the PCB board it says "Powermem".

I ordered the memory from Z-buy this week. It arrived today and it was NOT Samsung memory, but some generic company using Samsung memory chips. Oh the chips were Samsung but NOT the PCB board, the whole memory stick was assembyled by some company called "Powermem". So Z-buy is NOT selling Samsung memory, BUT they are advertising their memory as Samsung, which is misleading, when only the chips are Samsung. I've tried calling Z-buy all day today and have gotten either a busy signal or no one answers. I have also e-mailed them and have not recieved any response.

I'll tell everybody, I'm getting more than a little tired of being continueously screwed by computers companies over the net! In the past month I've had problems with Gainward, UnitedMicro, OCSystems, OCtechnologies, and now Z-buy! Geez, I even choose Z-buy, in part, because they had a decent rating at resellers.com! But this is enough to about stop me from buying from these net stores! I've had much better luck buying off e-bay.

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

P4 1.7 Willy oc'ed to 2040 mhz
Abit BD7 Raid mobo Raid enabled
Aopen 602H case
Enermax 465P ps
512 meg Crucial 2100 DDR CAS 2.5
3 Maxtor ata 100 40 gig hd's.
1 Maxtor ata 100 60 gig hd
12/10/32A Plexy
Kenwood 72X
LS-120
ZIP 250 USB
Dazzle 6 n 1 card reader
Creative Audigy sound card
PNY GF4 Ti 4400
Viewsonic PS 790
HP 6400 CSE scanner
Canon 6000 printer
Creative ES Go cam
Logitec iTouch cordless keyboard
Cirque Cruise Cat touchpad
Microsoft Optical USB mouse
Speedstream DSL
Logitec FF Wheel
MS Precision Pro joystick
All on WinXP

Last edited:
I have powermem (powmem) pcb samsung also.
I got it fron googlegear the time it as advertised as samsung, since then they changed it to samsung chips memory.

It does pretty good for me not quite as good as original samsung but close.

Ok Placid,
Here's my delima. Currently I have a P4 1.7 Willy that will oc out to 127-128 fsb tops. I am running Crucial 2100 DDR CAS 2.5 ram that tops out at 118 at 4:3 or 133 setting. I guess this equals about 159 fsb max. I also figure the PowerMem will give the extra speed to reach 127-128 fsb at 4:3 or 133 fsb speeds. But I will wanting to upgrade to a Northwood in a couple months and this will take whatever ram's fbs oc'ing to the max. So I wonder if the 512 meg CAS 2.5 DDR PowerMem is worth the chance and price over sending it back and getting the real Samsung?

Thanks,
Mike

P4 1.7 Willy oc'ed to 2040 mhz
Abit BD7 Raid mobo Raid enabled
Aopen 602H case
Enermax 465P ps
512 meg Crucial 2100 DDR CAS 2.5
3 Maxtor ata 100 40 gig hd's.
1 Maxtor ata 100 60 gig hd
12/10/32A Plexy
Kenwood 72X
LS-120
ZIP 250 USB
Dazzle 6 n 1 card reader
Creative Audigy sound card
PNY GF4 Ti 4400
Viewsonic PS 790
HP 6400 CSE scanner
Canon 6000 printer
Creative ES Go cam
Logitec iTouch cordless keyboard
Cirque Cruise Cat touchpad
Microsoft Optical USB mouse
Speedstream DSL
Logitec FF Wheel
MS Precision Pro joystick
All on WinXP

Last edited:
I have 2x256 of the powmem it ran 210mhz max in the epox 4sda out of the box and 216mhz max after burning it for a few days.

The 512mb of original samsung I got from newegg did 220mhz out of the box and I have never tried higher with it.

With my cpu at max fsb (136) 204mhz memory the powemem will run with 2.5-2-3 2.7v and the original samsung will run cas 2.5-2-2.

It's really up to you, if you feel bad about what you got then return it. Maybe z-buy will change the misleading description.

Back