• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever make a Amd Keychain??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toomnymods

I've decided to put my burned out 1.2 Axiar T-birdy to some good use.. Since Amd refuses to give me another chip because it was a Oem chip I've decided to make me a nice keychain.. All the 462 pins are off and nice and smooth thx to my dremel :D now the real problem how the hell you drill thru this thing?? I've already ruined 2 good drill bits.. This damn thing is stonger than frieking steel.. Any ideas??
Thanks

KFB

I just made a keychain from a TBird 1.33 that I chipped several months ago. I tried drilling it but there was NO WAY. So I used clear epoxy to glue a keychain loop and chain to it.
Its purty cool mayng.:beer:

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
i have tried drilling through one too. Lost three good bits before i gave up:eek:

Inteleron

good ol' intel strikes again, i've got a 2.0a p4 w/ gorgeous hole drilled right into it, life is great :)

good luck on those evil athlons :eek:

knight1976

Registered
I made one out of a Pii 350 I know its no comparison to an Athlon keychain but i just like to say i made one:)

juliendogg

i made one out of an atlhon classic, used the dremel tool to cut through the pcb (slot-a) and a glass and tile bit to drill through the ceramic... anything is possible if you have a dremel!

OP
toomnymods

toomnymods

That's what i was using a dremel and a power drill with a assortment of drillbits, nuthing would even go thru this damn chip.. It would go thru the first layer the brownish/ purplish color then stop soon as it hit the silver (unknown metal layer) probably titanium or steel is my guess..

Last edited:

XprincoX

bargain hunter
yea have tried drilling a hole on the ceramic, but it was waay too fragile and just totally cracked.... :( So just broke it totally apart and looked at the pieces under a microscope. :D Pretty interestings stuff...

Hey Intelron, clean out ur pm mailbox!! trying pm u! :D

scandalous

Registered
I drilled thru the corner my XP1600 no problem (chipped the core and ruined it)... I mean it was a little tougher than I thought, but no big hassle...:eh?:

KFB

Bruno said:
don't all those pins give ya a rash?

i cut them off and smoothed the bottom out with a dremel. it makes a good box cutter and ninja star when i take it off my keychain. even though it is not Folding or anything, i would still rather have it than a p4.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Wow! Are those chips really that hard?? I always thought that they would break to pieces if you droped it.

bigfoot

Hay, has anyone ever tried a god old fashion drill press. I use one daily at school in metals, to bad I have no spare CPU's to test on ;)

Oh and on subject, I have made a keychain out of me Athlon clasic after runing it when trying to moove around those little tiny SMD resisters. BTW, someone else said something about an athlon clasic, I say that taking the cover is way easier than leaving it on because of the 4 holes already in the corner of the PCB board, plus it's a lot thinner!

Puer Aeternus

I read a few posts now where people have broken their drill bits trying to put a hole in that chip..not worth it for me..unless the prof's at school like a challenge...bring a old chip in and see what they can do. Prof's love a challenge especialy if it makes their ego bigger...Just say your tech friends said it cant be done!