• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone get a Pixel 4a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought about getting that exact phone for basically the same reason. Price. It's easily rootable, the global version not the store branded one, and there are 2 OS's I was interested in rooting it for.
grapheneos.org and calyxos.org
One is no google at all, and the other works with google services but only if you enable them. I said f it and decide on the pinephone. It's $200 and I can run debian/mobian on it. The Pinephone is OOS as is the pinebook pro. I can wait.
Problem is I really don't want to spend $350 on a phone. I'm kinda over chasing hardware upgrades. The pinephone has a replaceable battery and works like having a linux desktop in your palm. Plus it comes with a dongle to hook up a keyboard mouse ethernet and a monitor via the usb c port. Way more fun than a disposable google phone. For $200, a pinephone really is disposable as you can rebuild one from available parts easily and cheaply.
The other reason is graphene and calyx only work WITH google phones. I aint chasing google nothing f that.

Last edited:
I believe you that it happened. It's just astoundingly unlikely is all; literally, I'm astounded it managed to happen in your pocket by itself. I'm glad you got it fixed though.

doesn't seem that unlikely to me, with a 4 digit pin for unlocking my phone, my pixel 4 will send text messages, open apps, and call people all while in my pocket.
haven't ever had a touch screen phone that didn't unlock and do things while in my pocket

Weird, I use a pattern unlock and never have that problem. Do you have the setting turned on to stay unlocked with on-body detection

Weird, I use a pattern unlock and never have that problem. Do you have the setting turned on to stay unlocked with on-body detection
No I do not. Not sure how it happens, doesn't make sense to me, I just know it happens. Has happened with both pattern and number unlocking

I finally got around to picking up a new 4a 5G. I just couldn't keep the charge on my pixel 2 anymore so had to do it. Nice phone so far.

@rainless I use my finger as my unlock and haven't ran into it unlocking at the wrong times yet. I do use the opposite finger that I hold the phone with though. When I first got my pixel 2 I used my primary hand and it would unlock when my hand was in my pocket and unlock while taking it out of my pocket doing things before I wanted it to.

Never had a phone do this with a pattern, numerical, or fingerprint lock either.

I'd look at the unlock function too (though that said, I've never had to change anything).

Ordered a Pixel 4 off Ebay to replace my wife's Pixel 2.

Supposed to be guaranteed delivery on Saturday the 13th, in time for Valentine's Day.

Hasn't moved since first day it was logged out of Memphis and 'en route' to somewhere else (presumably Tulsa).

Filed a "not received" notice with Ebay, maybe the shipper can institute a trace on it or something.

Back