• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone got an idea what i could do wit this case layout?(PIC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

well this is what my friends case looks like.
he has all in it (plus wiring) and an empty 80mm hole in the back, a volcano5 hs wit a sunon 80mm 50cfm fan attached to it and he has the stock volcano5 fan left over(32cfm, 31dba) what do you think he could do with it, and what could he do wit that extra 80mm hole in the back? put the volcano5 stock fan to exhaust? fix up some kinda duct for the 80mm fan on heatsink?

any help will be appreciated, soon he will be gettin an ax-7 hs and will put the same fan on that..

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
An easy solution is to run a duct to the rear hole. But there's of course a catch.

When you run the duct, you'll actually decrease the performance of the 50cfm Sunon because it will have to overcome the resistance of the duct. The best solution is to put another 50cfm Sunon on the back of the case at the other end of the duct. Now there are two possibilities.

If you run the duct as intake, then that frontm fan should be turned around to exhaust. The front exhaust fan combined with the exhaust fan on the PSU should just about the 50cfm coming in to the heat sink. That's good. However it's not the most efficient airflow pattern.

If you run the duct as exhaust, then you'll need the front fan as intake. The proble is that your PSU and duct move a lot more air than your intake fan. So you'll really need a beefier intake fan. Those Sunon 50cfm sure are nice aren't they? This is the sort of setup I have except that I put yet another Sunon 50cfm fan into two drive bays I wasn't using.

I recommend making the duct and then playing around with it to see what works. The dead simplest way to make a duct is to go to your local hardware store and get 12-18 inches of 4 inche dryer vent duct. The vinyl stretches just right to fit nicely around an 80mm fan. A couple bucks and 5 minutes of time and you should have a serviceable duct. For a variety of reasons dryer hose doesn't make the best duct in the world, but it's cheap and easy and does a good job.

nihili

OP
Lt. Max

Lt. Max

ok cool thanks, what you mean by running the duct as exhaust?
you mean that i turn the fan on cpu around and another sunon fan in the 80mm hole around? then put a bigger fan in front shouldnt b a prob. thnx

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
Lt. Max said:
ok cool thanks, what you mean by running the duct as exhaust?
you mean that i turn the fan on cpu around and another sunon fan in the 80mm hole around? then put a bigger fan in front shouldnt b a prob. thnx

A duct can either be used as an intake - to bring fresh air from outside the case directly to the heat sink, or as an exhaust - to take hot air from the heatsink directly outside the case.

Most people seem to prefer intake ducts, but I've always had better luck with exhausts.

nihili