• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have a clue why MSI recalled some of their recent x99 bios updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

So I have been using a MSI x99a gaming 7 for a month or so now and back on 3-31 saw an update for my bios listed here. https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-7.html#down-bios
I managed to successfully install it and had no issues besides an odd quirk with the debug light not wanted to show temps properly once it posted and went into the OS (which i sorted out). I had read a few reports on MSI forums that people were having boot loops and other odd issues, so I rolled the bios back after 2 days of using it. Some people had commented the bios (H.C0) which has been taken down appeared to be a copy paste of xpower or some other series due to the colors in hardware monitor (yellow instead of red accents) not coinciding with those for the gaming scheme, mainly yellow where it was before red. Just wondering anyone have any updated info on why those bios were pulled, and why some appear to have been either put back up or never taken down. As i recall reading the only things that new bios (H.C0) supposedly contained was new cpu microcode to support Broadwell E and something about VGA compat. fixes. Was something else screwy with them like voltages etc that was wrecking peoples systems, just wonder why the fast take down, I ran that bios on my system 2 days and its still alive and easily flashed back to (H.B0) with no issue.

Last edited:
No clue offhand.

MSI did release a whole line of BIOSs for their X99 line to support BWell-E though. That is all I know.

I had heard that Gigabyte's X99 Broadwell-E BIOS updates screwed up overclocking if you were running a Haswell-E. Plus, if you updated to the Broadwell-E BIOS, it prevented you from rolling it back to an earlier version. So the advice there was only update the BIOS if/when you will be installing a Broadwell-E CPU.

Maybe MSI has a similar issue that affects Haswell-E. Just a speculation. In any event, the rule of thumb is to only update the BIOS if you have a reason to do so.

I have no issues with Broadwell-E BIOS on ASRock and ASUS X99 boards so I guess that Gigabyte made something wrong ( it somehow happens often ). I have no idea what about MSI but better if they removed it from download section if these new versions have some issues.

I have no issues with Broadwell-E BIOS on ASRock and ASUS X99 boards so I guess that Gigabyte made something wrong ( it somehow happens often ). I have no idea what about MSI but better if they removed it from download section if these new versions have some issues.

Gigabyte released the BIOS specifically for Broadwell-E, and clearly stated you can't go back to earlier versions. So it's clearly a case of operator error if anyone flashed it. Here is the Description from the BIOS download page.

1. Support 2016 Q2 coming new CPU
  2. This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS

why cant you roll back?

if that was a thing intel would be making oems lock down non k skylake ocing with bios you couldnt roll back.

At least you have an update. Im waiting till they release a new BIOS cause i cant launch GTA IV :-/.

Back