• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone here use a bilge pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
I just got an attwood 500gph bilge pump for my water cooling project. I know a few people have used bilges before but I don't here anything about them. The main reason for choosing a bilge was price and you can run them off a 12v line. I have heard bilge pumps are very reliable but again I am not sure. The 2 other parts I am using in the system are a Maze-2 and a copper core cooling cube. I don't know what to use fr a radiator yet but I'm thinking of making one out of Plexiglass. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I too am using a 500 gph bilge pump, maze 2 water block, and the same radiator. My parts haven't arrived yet, so i'll have to wait some time still.

yes I was looking for bilge pumps for my h20 cooling but I went to a site and it gave some specs about thim

and I read that bilge pumps arnt made to run in long periods and the lifespan of one is only 300 or so hours

after reading that I never thought about running a bilge on my system again.

HaM (Jul 16, 2001 07:09 p.m.):
I too am using a 500 gph bilge pump, maze 2 water block, and the same radiator. My parts haven't arrived yet, so i'll have to wait some time still.

What kind of bilge did you get? Rule bilges have a great reputation from what I have heard. Well I guess I can at least get a new pump if mine goes dead, since it has a 3 year warranty. I am planning on sticking a heatsink on the Maze just incase the pump stops pumping.

I am planning on sticking a heatsink on the Maze just incase the pump stops pumping.

How are you going to do that? On a Maze 2 it would be next to impossible as the hose barbs are on the back and if it isn't that one then you'd still have problems with the hold down device. The inside of the block is hollow so unless it stays filled with water when the pump dies you'll be fubar very quickly. Even if it is filled with water it wont be able to transfer enough heat to keep it from frying. Just some thoughts

I hate say it, but you might as well know now. Those bilge pumps are only designed for infrequent use and most for 1500 hrs.

See:

Ingo (Jul 17, 2001 04:27 p.m.):
I hate say it, but you might as well know now. Those bilge pumps are only designed for infrequent use and most for 1500 hrs.

See:

Welcome to the forums again Ingo.
As I posted in the other thread 1500 hours is 2 years at 21 hours a day. I can live with that.

Bender (Jul 17, 2001 04:36 p.m.):
As I posted in the other thread 1500 hours is 2 years at 21 hours a day. I can live with that.

Sorry, but you'll have to check your math, Bender: 1500 hrs @ 21 hrs/day = 72 days. You were thinking 15,000 hrs. 1500 hrs is fine for boating, as most boaters don't run their boats that much over 3 - 5 years. Of course, for us, it's a leeetle bit different ;-)

Ingo (Jul 17, 2001 04:59 p.m.):
Bender (Jul 17, 2001 04:36 p.m.):

Sorry, but you'll have to check your math, Bender: 1500 hrs @ 21 hrs/day = 72 days. You were thinking 15,000 hrs. 1500 hrs is fine for boating, as most boaters don't run their boats that much over 3 - 5 years. Of course, for us, it's a leeetle bit different ;-)

Ouch [img="[URL]http://forums.overclockers.ws/forums/Public/Images/Default/E11.gif[/URL]"]

BTW, I just picked up an Aquarium Systems Maxijet 1200 (295GPH) pump (69" maximum head) for ~$22 including shipping from Pet Warehouse and am quite pleased with it's performance, build, and silent qualities. Definitely a viable option you may want to look into.

I'm using a Rule24 bilge pump that I converted to inline use...

I saw the page off rule-industries before I bought it, and I did see the rated life span, and I did buy it anyway, knowing 1500 hours = 72 days. Here's why I don't think that rating applies in using the pump for water cooling: 1) I'm not pumping crap. The pump is designed to keep bilge water from sinking a boat. Bilges can have various nasties in it that can damage the pump over time. 2) Ocean water is salty. Saltwater is corrosive. I'm just pumping distilled.

I'm sure the 1500 hour rating takes these into account, since it is expected in the environment that the pump will be used in. Since a water cooling loop shouldn't have any crap like that in the system, I don't think the rating applies. Additionally, I run my pump at 5 volts, so I'm not stressing it.

Since I got an Attwood I just emailed tech support and asked them what the expected operating life for a V500 bilge is. I hope they get back to me soon. Why spend $30-50 more on a pump when a duron is only $40 to start off with? Attwood and Rule pumps run only $15-20 for a 500gph. I guess a better pump will give you piece of mind but mine saves the wallet. I'll run the thing hard and see how well it holds up. If only there was a way to monitor rpm so the computer could shut off if it went below threshold. How does the rpm sensor stuff work anyway? Could I hook up some sort of monitoring for rpm? Here is Attwood Marine if any of you are interested.

[ The inside of the block is hollow so unless it stays filled with water when the pump dies you'll be fubar very quickly. Even if it is filled with water it wont be able to transfer enough heat to keep it from frying. Just some thoughts[/quote]

i unplugged my pump by mistake once and i was able to shutdown before i had a french fry (or ceramic fry!), temps went up really fast but my temp prog warned me intime....

Back