• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know a good $20 sound card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well I think I found my problem I listed earlier with winamp. I think it's problems on my actual sound card, the Aureal Vortex 2. Anyway, I am looking for a moderate replacement, not anything serious, just something around $20. So anyone know a good one?

Thanks

Tipycol

rogue1979

C-Media 8738 6-channel sound card can be had for under $15 shipped on pricewatch. Much better than a Vortex 2, pretty dang good sound for any price.

OP
T

Tipycol

K thanks guys...I'll look into those cards. Anyone else?

Tipycol

OP
T

Tipycol

Are the Hercules Muse and C-Media 8738 card the same thing, just one has the label of Hercules and the other doesn't?

Kosmic

Dood, spend the extra $14 and get an SB Live 5.1 from newegg for $34. I think it's free shipping for this at newegg and you'd probably pay for shipping on the other cards, making this even more attractive for the price. It's cheap and it performs great.

K1

OP
T

Tipycol

Kosmic1 said:
Dood, spend the extra $14 and get an SB Live 5.1 from newegg for $34. I think it's free shipping for this at newegg and you'd probably pay for shipping on the other cards, making this even more attractive for the price. It's cheap and it performs great.

K1

Why? Are the differences between the cards that big? I'm not saying I won't get it, cause the C-Media 8738 is gonna cost me more like $30.

Kosmic

I can't speak for c-media...Never used it. I just know that the sb live makes my music sound better than a lot of "real" stereos I've heard. (cheap logitech 540s, too)

OP
T

Tipycol

Kosmic1 said:
I can't speak for c-media...Never used it. I just know that the sb live makes my music sound better than a lot of "real" stereos I've heard. (cheap logitech 540s, too)

Really? Well I'm not gonna look for one till Monday, so that'll give me some time to research them.

Anyone else with a suggestion/opinion?

Thanks

Tipycol

deez

unless you have expensive speakers just get a Soundblaster 16...its cheap, easy to find, works with everything, overclocks nice and sounds pretty good too.

Silence

Registered
if I was on a very tight budget I would get a Fortissimo III 7.1 for $37 @ newegg.com (eta 11/4)

OP
T

Tipycol

Silence said:
if I was on a very tight budget I would get a Fortissimo III 7.1 for $37 @ newegg.com (eta 11/4)

Wow...my budget is doubling ;)
I think I am just going to stick to the C-Media, since this will be more like a temporary replacement for now.

Thanks for your help guys

Tipycol

larva

Inactive Moderator
I've got the c-media setup integrated on my Asus motherboard, it is acceptable. I do have a $30 SbLive fitted in the machine though as the c-media tends to dissappear at 150fsb on me. The c-media is hardware and works well, but the SBLive OEM at the prices they are available at is a great value as well, and more tolerant of out of spec PCI if that is an issue for your application.

JCLW

Do you have a used computer store near you? I just picked up a SoundBlaster PCI 16 for CDN$12 the other week. That's like US$8. They had an Audigy for CDN$55 (US$36).

- JW

OP
T

Tipycol

larva said:
I've got the c-media setup integrated on my Asus motherboard, it is acceptable. I do have a $30 SbLive fitted in the machine though as the c-media tends to dissappear at 150fsb on me. The c-media is hardware and works well, but the SBLive OEM at the prices they are available at is a great value as well, and more tolerant of out of spec PCI if that is an issue for your application.

Hmm...so C-Media caps out at around 37MHz? That's what I have running now, so maybe I will get the SBLive.

Thanks

Tipycol

@[email protected]

larva said:

I don´t think cmedia 8738 is hardware... It may eat just a very small percentage of the pc resources... I say this becouse i tought it was hardware and looking at some different cmedia 8738 cards i readed in one of them : HSP

Host Signal Processed

Now i´m totally confused... I didn´t buy it jus becouse of the dsp....! I´m planning a Genius 6 channel... cheaper than the Live and i spect something better, I´ve looked at them and found a different chip wich I think is DSP... :confused: