• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know what the aggressive CPU/FSB settings do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metalwave

Registered
As the title says... I'm not sure what the aggressive settings do. It's obvious what the aggressive/turbo/expert memory settings do, but what about the CPU/FSB?

The reason I ask is that if I set it to Optimal, I can reach high FSB's (240+), but I won't be Prime stable (fails in first 10 min. - but Windows doesn't freeze. Also, memory passes memtest @ high FSB). However, if I set it to Aggressive, I'm prime stable at the same CPU speed, but my computer won't even boot above 203 FSB (note my sig), it just gives me the memory error beep.

Anyone have any insight that could be helpful? Not sure if L12 mod would help any. I'm kinda resistant to doing wire mods... leaving it to last trys. Running 1/21 Bios.

Goldstandard

What are your memory timings before and after? I don't have that motherboard but I noticed on mine that the memory timings are set under cpu settings, and considering that your cpu is doing fine it might be your memory that is causing the crash. If the timings are too aggressive you will run into problems when raising the FSB.

OP
M

Metalwave

Registered
I set my memory timings to something like 15-4-4-3.0 or worse - something really slow. But it doesn't help. I think there has to be another memory setting that's hindering me. Or maybe my memory just plain sucks...