• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone know where to get spdif cable for an35n?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruiner

I'd like to try out the digital out(JP7), but the din cable that came with my speakers is a few pins short (compared to the pins on the mobo).

Nothing of the sort is listed on shuttle's site.

Balrog

Yup $20.00! - NewEgg used to carry a Biostar coax unit for $8.00 delivered but I haven't seen it listed in monthes. I'm going for the Soyo unit personally if I can ever get the rest of my rigs settled down, one of them seems to be needing something all the time.

From what I've heard the digital out into a Dolby Digital Receiver sounds decent, not as good as the Soundstorm audio would but I'd say probably a little better than your Live.

Rig looks Sweet! - The 2 front intake fans look they mean business! - Better keep the "little chomper" away from those! - Damn he must be big now thats an old pic in your avatar.

Regards, Balrog

OP
Ruiner

Ruiner

Yeah, he's walking around and getting into everything.

Will that soyo card take digital mini-jack plugs? My speakers use that or the 9-pin din.

Balrog

As far as I know the Soyo unit has choice of Coax or Optical to feed your Digtal Receiver, your speakers have to be attached to that not the SPDIF bracket. Its my understanding that the audio jacks on the SDPDIF are to add extra analog outputs for regular speaker set-ups like my Logitech 640s. I believe they add this so you don't have to lose the audio in & mic jacks on your back plane.

Regards, Balrog

Balrog

If you look at a closeup of the PCB, directly behind the 2 jacks you'll see rear channel & center\bass labeling, I believe those are 2 regular analog audio jacks not digital speaker jacks. E-mail them, I've heard Soyo CS\TS is pretty good.

Regards, Balrog

OP
Ruiner

Ruiner

I just got a hold of that soyo header....7 bucks off hardforum.

Balrog, are you sure the pinouts are the same as the shuttle?

Edit,
Well the cable is different...the key/blocked hole in the socket is at a different spot from the mobo header.

Balrog

That could be, I could never quite get a clear shot of the cable. The AN35N manual has the pin layout of the board & I've seen the pin layout of the SPDIF somewhere, they may include it in the package. Let me know how you make out as I'm hoping to get mine soon. You might want to grab the latest audio drivers from Realtek, I believe they had some new ones a few weeks back.

Regards, Balrog

OP
Ruiner

Ruiner

I found a useful page here: http://users.757.org/~ethan/hobby/spdif/
I'm going to have to change the wires on the mobo end of the cable to match the shuttle pinouts.

I got my soyo header bare, no manual.
I've been using the sound drivers in nvidia's unified pack, and they work well (my Live! died...heh). I use the green/blue (front/rear) ports on the mobo backplate into my fps2000 speakers.

OP
Ruiner

Ruiner

the shuttle pins are pretty different from the soyo.
both have the important ones: spidif in and out, ground and 5v

the soyo has pins for subwoofer, and rear right and rear left out
the shuttle board instead has 12v, and not the others.

Balrog

Yeah but doesn't the AN35N have extra audio out headers as well, maybe you could add some additional cables & tie into those as well.

Yup page 39 in manual - JP20 = Rear out & JP5 = Center\Bass

Regards, Balrog

OP
Ruiner

Ruiner

I just found that. I could wire jp20 (1&4) into the soyo pins 10/9

and shuttle jp5 (1&4) into soyo 5/6

Balrog

Yeah but that Shuttle SPDIF is alot more $ & you don't get the extra audio jacks. Its worth the extra effort if it all works in the end IMHO

Regards, Balrog

OP
Ruiner

Ruiner

I wired the regular spdif (coax and optical) outputs to my receiver and messed around with it.
It sends the rear channels to the front. I remember now that only soundstorm boards output full 5.1 in spdif...the other boards, like the shuttle, only 2.1.
I'll be testing the analog outputs soon and will update here.