• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone replaced a power supply fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e_storm

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at replacing a power supply fan for a quiter one. The one I have is a PC Power and Cooling 300 ATX Ultra Cool.. or something like that.

I looked at the stat sheet for the model and it does not give the size of the fan, but gives pretty much everything else. I can probably figure out the fan size, but here is the real question:

I noticed the PS fan has a 2 lead connection to the actual PS and I don't see any fans out there being sold with a 2 pin, only 3 and 4. Can I just cut the sensor wire on a 3 pin and solder the hot and ground wires to the PS leads? Do the fans need the sensor lead to run?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a quiet fan for this, that still has a high CFM, preferably 35+?

Thanks in advance.

e storm

just get a 12volt fan with the specs you want that fits cut the laed off the old fan and splice the wires off the new fan you dont need tach feedback unless you got one of them fancy psu that wont work if the fan fales

Before spending money on a new fan here's a trick for you. Take the fan out and peel back the sticker in the center. Now get a small can of lubricating oil and put ONE drop in there. Spin it by hand to work the oil in. Now put the sticker back on with glue if you have to, just to keep dust out. If you like you can do this with all case fans that are noisy. But if it doesnt make them more quiet then feel free to buy a new one. Its not like they are big bucks.

I was just gunna post that. Except I was gunna put a louder more power full one in. ADDA 50cfm hi po 80mm fan. I have given up on a quiet rig...

120mm 100cfm ADDA
80mm 50cfm ADDA
blorb
alpha pep66 w/ delta fan
adda graphics card fan on the north bridge
Slot cooler
...and a hard drive fan on the way.

Who needs queit? Overclock till your def, heheh.

I swapped the fan in my psu for a 30cfm evercool, I also cut out a hole in the casing and installed a second intake fan in the psu (similar to enermax psu's) so it now works better as an exhaust fan for the system, rather than conect it to the existing fan leads, which are thermally controlled so vary with temperature I just conected then the a 4 pin power conector and plan on cnoecting them to a fan bus when I build one

Phil (May 01, 2001 05:06 p.m.):
I swapped the fan in my psu for a 30cfm evercool, I also cut out a hole in the casing and installed a second intake fan in the psu (similar to enermax psu's) so it now works better as an exhaust fan for the system, rather than conect it to the existing fan leads, which are thermally controlled so vary with temperature I just conected then the a 4 pin power conector and plan on cnoecting them to a fan bus when I build one

Good idea. I think I'll try the extra fan under the PS too, if it'll fit. Thanks for the posts.

the little heatsinks in my psu prevent it fitting inside the psu case fully, so it sticks out a bit, half of the fan is in the psu and the other half is out

Back