• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone SMP the XP2400+ yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went out and bought a msi k7d to replace my tiger mp, the 2400's worked but were very buggy, i tried em in my tyan and they work flawlessly.

yes i would say that you would probably need to update the bios. If you do, and get it working correctly... OVERCLOCK 'EM!!! 4ghz + AMD would rock ur world.

you need to have the BIOS update for the K7D for them to work but after that you should be fine

Spec

DEZMOND said:
I was running latest bios 1.05 , the board did clock nice , it ran at 144 easily, however i need a stable board for video renders. This board just dissapointed me , i had 20 + hrs into it, stripping the system down, reinstalling win 2k everything. I see i'm not alone to http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27258

If it doesnt run the XP2400 without problems it must be an RMA issue, as they clearly state that it will support this cpu at least in single mode.

Yeah its definitely a rma issue, but the funny thing was i had 2 mp 1800 on the board for about a week and everything was rock stable.Then using the exact same components the 2400's gave me problems. I sent the board back for a refund, it sucks i lost 15% restock fee. I'm gonna run the tiger mp for now and only upgrade if it fails. running 144 fsb no prob

I read the 2cpu thread and he is locking at 60c !!!!!!!

Come on guys ,, with AMD 55c and above creates stability issues.

I did not rerad beyond this obvious statement of 60c because i am of the thinking you fix what is obvious first then move on with the troubleshooting............................

diehrd said:

I did not rerad beyond this obvious statement of 60c because i am of the thinking you fix what is obvious first then move on with the troubleshooting............................

I agree...those temps are way to high to keep stability with an Athlon. There is nothing that the 2400+ has that would cause it work differently in smp than the lower speed chips. As long as heat and Power are not problem it should work just fine. I will be picking a pair up soon to run in my ageing Thunder.

diehrd said:

If those were the correct temps it would be a problem, sandra would tell me i was at 109 cel , if that was the case they would have melted. Plain and simple , i got a bad board and i'm not alone. I've built quite a few systems so don't act like i'm a idiot.The main time i would get these lockups was when encoding video with tmpge, it would do 300 pass burn in tests on sandra no problem.

DEZMOND, you have the BIOS 1.5 (latest)...?
If at boot it shows 2x XP and not 2x MP, try to go back to BIOS ver. 1.3... someone from Germany solve his stability problem with this..

Temp

Yes i did have bios 1.5 , but i sent the board back.I've talked to a lot of people that got bad boards from msi, they are known for voltage problems. If your considering this board i would read up at 2cpu and amdmb.com first.

I have three of these boards. All of them run flawlessly and one of them is even an older revision green one. No problems, whatsoever. More stable than most single CPU motherboards I've worked with.

These are the only MSI motherboards I have ever bought, though, since many of their single CPU motherboards don't have a great reputation.

Well all i can say is i'm glad yer guys are stable. Are you guys running .13 microns ? The board seemed fine with my 1800's.

Back