• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone try the Albatron KX18D Pro2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7keys

I saw the Albatron KX18D Pro2 for sale very cheap and was wondering if anyone has used this board. You really get a lot for the price.

I have seen VERY nice reviews of it , dont know personally though .. fsb up to 230-235 is standard !!

I have one and do not hesitate to recommend it. Nice overclocking features lots of bells and whistles and the backup BIOS is very comforting. Currently running:

KX18D Pro II
Barton 2500+ locked @ 11x200
stock HSF @ ca. 50Cels. idle
Generic PC2100 mem @ 5-2-2-2
WD Raptor 37Gb
Ancient SiS 5598/6326 PCI video card

Well I think I might give it a try.

Whats the sound like, are you having any trouble with it?

I was going to buy an Abit Nf7-s but I keep hearing of sound troubles. I can get the Albatron KX18D Pro2 for 2/3'rds the price of the abit board and it seems to have the same features.

"I was going to buy an Abit Nf7-s but I keep hearing of sound troubles." Get Revision 2.0 and you'll be very happy. Not a cheap board, $101.99 at newegg, but from what I read it is an excellent platform and you get everything you pay for.

I have Epox and Solek MB's but they pulled out of the US so I'll take my MB business elsewhere. ABIT-USA has customer support in the US and when I need support I like talking to people who speakey-de-English language fluently. ;) OldBird

I have used a couple of Abit boards and really liked them…but….. I read about the guy from Gigabyte going to Albatron and wanting to design stable boards for the “enthusiast” market…and I thought I would like to try one.

I know the Abit NF7 is a great board and if it didn’t have sound trouble I’d be as happy as an old Albatross.. but.. this Albatron board seems as good as the Abit board in many of the reviews I’ve read so I just might give her a try.

To 7keys.

Interesting about the Gygabyte man switching to Albatron. . . .

"I know the Abit NF7 is a great board and if it didn’t have sound trouble I’d be as happy as an old Albatross.. but.. this Albatron board seems as good as the Abit board in many of the reviews I’ve read so I just might give her a try."
That's what it's all about Sir, everyone to their own opinion and there are so many good MB's out there today it's sure a tough call to decide which one to get. What is the model number of the Albatron you are referring to?

So tell me about the sound problems on the NF7-S please, did they get it resolved on the revision 2.0 board? I'm no audiophile and if I get sound that's OK with me, quality doesn't matter much, one channel is OK. Interested because I like to keep up with what's going on in the MB world especially inherent problems of any kind.

Thanx and Happy New Year. OldBird

I found this in you previous post: Albatron KX18D Pro2

In the Abit board section in the last half year or so people with the NF7-S keep complaining about sound problems. Now, not every one with the NF7-S has this problem…but… it seems to be the problem that comes up the most.

I am using my computer to play mp3’s and so one of reasons I want an Nforce2 board is for the quality of the built in Sound, they say it’s as good as a Creative Labs Audigy 2. Although I'm wondering if this could be a problem with all Nforce boards with the on board Sound Storm audio, which is why I was asking. Because if it is a common problem with all Nforve boards I will get an Nforce2 board without built in sound and buy an Audigy 2.

Sound quality is very important to me and also I can save a few bucks with on board sound.

Yes, Albatron KX18D Pro2

Last edited:
"I saw the Albatron KX18D Pro2 for sale very cheap and was wondering if anyone has used this board. You really get a lot for the price."

"Very cheap are the two key words."
Cheap birdcloth ain't silk and any you cut it it's cheep-cheep-cheep. If you're on a Beer budget don't order chamgpange.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
It takes money to operate effectively and don't let your mind rationalize away what you already know to be true.
It only costs a few bucks more to go first class.

Grasshopper, save your pennies until you have enough to get the ABIT. OldBird

If you dont get the Albatron , and get the Abit , you are just following their advice , cuz their board is good . I have had a lot of nf7-s and the one I currently have is one out of 6 that didnt die ( not bios death ) - dead ..
Abit nf7's have the highest failure rate of any nForce 2 board .. Like 40% go into RMA within the first year ..
Get the Albatron , I hear it's good ..

Id like to get others personal experience and why they might think one board is better than another but some think it’s some kind of game where you’re rooting for one teem or another. I can do without this type of thing.

Well gang, . . . . . you go to bed and overnight things change and there's a new Sheriff in town and now I read this is the new bad boy on the block.

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY" -RETAIL $95.00 newegg
Specifications: Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron Processors Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T
FSB: 266/333/400MHz
RAM: 3x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266/200 Max 3GB IDE: 2x UltraDMA 66/100/133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,SPDIF
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: ICS1893 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA, RAID 0 and 1
Form Factor: ATX

In another thread I read the latest 2.0 NF7-S has problems where the early 2.0's did not, something about ABIT having recently switched to another component supplier. Who knows . . . ?? All we can do is put our heads together and see what we come up with . . . OldBird

huneycutt said:
Well gang, . . . . . you go to bed and overnight things change and there's a new Sheriff in town and now I read this is the new bad boy on the block.

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A

And to think I was under the impression you were an Abit representative.

The DFI infinity were the boards that were doa two times in a row although I am blaming newEgg's packing on both counts

To 3Keys.

"And to think I was under the impression you were an Abit representative."
Now why in the world would you get that impression when I'm merely asking questions to educate myself? Technology advances at such a rapid pace one is Alpha dog one day and Beta dog the next and it appears DFI has good stuff 'caused I chanced upon it and just thought I'd throw it out and see what feedback I recieved. 'Puters are my hobby and I have three 'puters and four MB's, Soltek 75MRN-L, Epox 8RDA & 8RGA+, ASUS A7V8X Deluxe and enjoy them all and fastest one is the 8RGA+ with the 2500 Barton. Doubt I'll be in the market for a new MB anytime soon but like to keep current on what's hot. I buy newegg refurbs and later on they'll have the Abit Infinity and DFI at about half price so when I'm ready I'll score one.

"Id like to get others personal experience and why they might think one board is better than another but some think it’s some kind of game where you’re rooting for one teem or another. I can do without this type of thing."

Naaaww, come on now. . . Rooting for your favorite team is an American tradition like Ford Thunderbirds and all we're doing is exercising our right to free speech which I and many others guarantee(d) by serving in the military. Americans, by nature, aren't passive people and when they get the chance they WILL root for their favorite car, MB or home team, so get use to it. Heck, if I found a place where people didn't stand up on their hind legs and root for their favorite whatever I'd be sorely dissapointed. You better not watch the NFL playoffs or the Super Bowl because my fellow Americans will blow you away with their rooting! Love the rooters each and every one 'cause I'm one of them good ole American rooters myself! UHHH-RAHHH! and have a super fine week. OldBird

Re: To 3Keys.

huneycutt said:

Naaaww, come on now. . . Rooting for your favorite team is an American tradition like Ford Thunderbirds and all we're doing is exercising our right to free speech which I and many others guarantee(d) by serving in the military. Americans, by nature, aren't passive people and when they get the chance they WILL root for their favorite car, MB or home team, so get use to it. Heck, if I found a place where people didn't stand up on their hind legs and root for their favorite whatever I'd be sorely dissapointed. You better not watch the NFL playoffs or the Super Bowl because my fellow Americans will blow you away with their rooting! Love the rooters each and every one 'cause I'm one of them good ole American rooters myself! UHHH-RAHHH! and have a super fine week. OldBird

I understand rooting for a favorite football team but when it comes to commercial enterprises it seems a little ridiculous, (in my humble opinion) unless you have stock in the company, then I understand completely.

Although I do agree with you on the free speech thingy and was only exercising mine in a humorous fashion, I hope.

Hey! What’s wrong with being an Abit representative anyway? Many Abit representatives are would like to know.

Here’s a review of the Albatron KX18D Pro II pitting it against the undefeated 8RGA+.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1457

Let the rooting begin!

Who are you rooting for?

Trying to decide who to root for and after reading the link I think I got me a real wiener with the 8RGA+ - 2500 Barton combo. No complaints here with the refurb 8RDA either. Sweet OC'ing MB's and the only thing cramping it's style is my drifty, old PC2100 RAM sticks, reckon I ought'a bust in my Piggie Bank and get me some good PC2700 but running stable at 2.0GHz on air SLK-900A. For what I use a 'puter for it's fast enough for me so I'll let well enough alone for now.

The link said the passive heat sink is sufficent for the Southbridge on the 8RGA+ but I put a 50mm fan on mine to keep it extra cool. Much to my chagrin, when I took the SBridge HS off and found only about 70% of the chip had HS compound on it, square pad like the pink pad on AMD HS's. (Square pad on a round chip, hmmm m. . . The logic escapes me . . .) Removed it with GoofOff and replaced it with Arctic Silver like it should be, so that and the fan should make the Southbridge run cool as a cucumber.

To Soltek's credit, when I took the HS off the chip the compound had been applied properly and with love like whoever applied it cared enough to do it right.

Here's a link with lots of reviews on new goodies.
http://www.amdmb.com/index.php#News-7439

I found this link from amdmb.com especially interesting.
http://www.myworldhardware.com/v3/review.asp?ID=84

I dun'no 7Keys, unless you stay right on top of it and read reviews almost everyday you get left behind trying to keep up with the technology rat race. Just doing the best I can for an old Hippie who builds his own and just got into OC'ing about seven months ago, so reckon I'm just a rookie compared to a lot of ya'll.

Gotta' go walk the dog, nice chatting with you and have a nice evening and please keep me up to speed on whaaas happenin'.
OldBird

Back