• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use this HDTV? (X370BV-HD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnetic

Disabled
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112028

I recently picked it up for a decent deal off the 'Egg considering the other TVs I was looking at were sold out or their price changed.

Im just confused by the 720p listing, yet it says it supports 1080p via HDMI....this is my seocnd HDTV purchase; other was over 4 years ago so what i was looking for and knew then certainly has changed.

and is Sceptre a reputable brand?
I did a fairly quick search on this brand and set its alittle mixed out there, i mean its no Sony or LG...

I just really needed to get the eyesore of the old SDTV Tube out of our living room.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Im sure it will be better. But its a 720p TV. It will take a 1080p signal via HDMI like it says, but it will down convert it to 720p.

Theocnoob

I would NOT buy that screen. Considering you can get a 32" Sony 720P for about the same money...

That extra 5" of poor quality picture isn't helping anyone.

OP
M

magnetic

Disabled
damn, i put in an order. newegg gave us an additional $45 off.

i wish i would have spotted that sony. maybe i can have them cancel it or get an exchange if it turns out bad.

thanks guys

Theocnoob

damn, i put in an order. newegg gave us an additional $45 off.

i wish i would have spotted that sony. maybe i can have them cancel it or get an exchange if it turns out bad.

thanks guys

Panasonic - VIERA / 32" Class / 720p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
Model: TC-L32C12 | SKU: 9235142

$449 @ best buy. EXCELLENT quality screen. 720P

Panasonic - VIERA / 32" Class / 720p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV with Apple® iPod® Dock
Model: TC-L32X1 | SKU: 9235133

$399 @ BB. Also an excellent screen. 720P.

Samsung - 32" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
Model: LN32B530P7F | SKU: 9231878

$499

It has a dynamic contrast of 60,000:1 vs 2,500:1 for that Sceptre.

I've personally spent a lot of time watching a TCL32X1 (399) and I can tell you the color accuracy of that set for the price is
unbelievably good.

Keep in mind if you want to use your TV with a PS3 or XBOX360 or watch BLU-RAY, unless the TV is 1920X1080 you won't get the full sharpness of the picture out of 1080P content on a 720P set.
However, a 720P set at X price at X size is likely to have more accurate color, better contrast, etc than an identically priced and sized set at 1080P. You're trading something off for that higher resolution. I would not expect the samsung at 499 to have as accurate or as punchy of an image as the 499 Panasonic 720P, but it is higher resolution, and if you plan to watch blurays etc that matters.

Remember that HD cable (if you're new to this whole HD thing) is 720P so a 720P set is all you need if that's your main use.

I would've done the black friday thing if I were in the US. A guy who's Youtube channel I watch got a set that's usually $700 for like 350 @ BB.

Also--- I would not personally have an LCD or Plasma TV shipped to me. These are delicate machines. A good knock can damage the picture permanently. You want to go to the store, select a PERFECT box that has no damage of any kind and has definitely never been opened and transport it home yourself in an upright position

LCD/Plasma TV manufacturers do not recommend storage or transport of the TV laying down flat. Do not buy from a store that has their TV boxes like this. Pick the perfect box, put it in your car upright in the back seat and make sure the part of the box labelled FRONT (usually an arrow on top) is pointing away from the seat towards you. You may also want to wedge the box in place by putting a pillow or some soft object in front of it.
Also when putting the TV on the stand, don't put it face down on a pillow. That's just stupid and you could put too much pressure on the screen. Just put the base on the table you want the TV on and carefully lower the set onto the base. Then screw it in.

A 32" set can be set up, put on it's base, moved around, etc by one person. Anything bigger needs two people.

Last edited:
OP
M

magnetic

Disabled
Thanks for the great detailed information.
The reason for the purchase was being on a tight budget and wanted something alittle better than what we had; and at around $329 for that didnt seem too bad honestly.

I will give it a day or two (if it comes okay without issue) and see if its worth it.

I will definitely keep all this info noted for future reference, it helps alot!

Essentially what I'am going to do is pick up either an apple based macmini with display port and connect a HDMI to miniDisplayPort to the tv to the mini and have it as a mini home theatre set up watching Ripped DVDs and BluRay and TV Shows.

Theocnoob

Thanks for the great detailed information.
The reason for the purchase was being on a tight budget and wanted something alittle better than what we had; and at around $329 for that didnt seem too bad honestly.

I will give it a day or two (if it comes okay without issue) and see if its worth it.

I will definitely keep all this info noted for future reference, it helps alot!

Essentially what I'am going to do is pick up either an apple based macmini with display port and connect a HDMI to miniDisplayPort to the tv to the mini and have it as a mini home theatre set up watching Ripped DVDs and BluRay and TV Shows.

When you notice the difference in picture quality between that Vizio and a TCL32X1 (panasonic's bottom of the bin 32") you'll cry.

Just telling you ahead of time.

ratbuddy

When you notice the difference in picture quality between that Vizio and a TCL32X1 (panasonic's bottom of the bin 32") you'll cry.

Just telling you ahead of time.

Vizio makes fine TVs. I've seen all sorts, and none of them look noticably better. Sharp is the only brand I'd avoid these days.

Theocnoob

Vizio makes fine TVs. I've seen all sorts, and none of them look noticably better. Sharp is the only brand I'd avoid these days.

You're not paying close enough attention then.

The difference in visible color gamut, dynamic and static contrast, color accuracy, text sharpness between:

Sony KDL-XBR6 and Panasonic TCL32S1 (Both 32" 1080P sets. Both identically priced at identical times in 2008 and 2009~ a year apart, respectively)

is absolutely massive. I wrote a bit about it.

The Sony shows a yellow banana. the Pana shows a yellow banana with some bruising and some slight green gradiation. The differences are mind blowing. Let's also not forget you have TN/PVA/IPS panels in LCD TV's just like in monitors and that makes a huge difference.

There are people out there who say their $200 Koss stereo sounds as good as their friend's $4000 component system.

Here's the bottom line:

There's a HUGE difference. Some people don't see that well or hear that well-- or they just fundamentally don't care very much. That's fine. They can save money on electronics, cars, carpeting, couches, clothes.

For those who realize the difference is there though, and how massive it is... Ya... It's huge.

You might not see the difference. That's either good or terrible (I doubt you see as much color or contrast gradiation as I do-- but you probably have better luck with long term relationships)... Everything balances out.

To me, there are massive quantifiable differences from one TV to the next.

ratbuddy

You're not paying close enough attention then.

The difference in visible color gamut, dynamic and static contrast, color accuracy, text sharpness between:

Sony KDL-XBR6 and Panasonic TCL32S1 (Both 32" 1080P sets. Both identically priced at identical times in 2008 and 2009~ a year apart, respectively)

is absolutely massive. I wrote a bit about it.

The Sony shows a yellow banana. the Pana shows a yellow banana with some bruising and some slight green gradiation. The differences are mind blowing. Let's also not forget you have TN/PVA/IPS panels in LCD TV's just like in monitors and that makes a huge difference.

There are people out there who say their $200 Koss stereo sounds as good as their friend's $4000 component system.

Here's the bottom line:

There's a HUGE difference. Some people don't see that well or hear that well-- or they just fundamentally don't care very much. That's fine. They can save money on electronics, cars, carpeting, couches, clothes.

For those who realize the difference is there though, and how massive it is... Ya... It's huge.

You might not see the difference. That's either good or terrible (I doubt you see as much color or contrast gradiation as I do-- but you probably have better luck with long term relationships)... Everything balances out.

To me, there are massive quantifiable differences from one TV to the next.

How many of us use the TVs for graphic design work or displaying still pictures where color accuracy is remotely important?

The average cable TV signal (and this extends to Hulu and Netflix, etc) is so compressed that the quality of the screen doesn't even come into play.

He just wants to get rid of an old tube TV, and I doubt anyone is going to sit there and analyze the color gamut or (meaningless) dynamic contrast ratio.

Theocnoob

The average cable TV signal (and this extends to Hulu and Netflix, etc) is so compressed that the quality of the screen doesn't even come into play.

Really? How come I can make out color gradiations on skin better on my 600Hz Viera? How come it never loses skin details like my LCD does? How come it makes a game of basketball so smooth and fluid and sharp compared to said LCD I can make out "Spalding" on the ball even while its spinning but my LCD just looks like an orange blurr? Same cable same box same HDMI.

He just wants to get rid of an old tube TV, and I doubt anyone is going to sit there and analyze the color gamut or (meaningless) dynamic contrast ratio.

Ever watch a movie with explosions? You know how the whole screen goes POW and gets sooo bright for a split second you have to squint and go WHOA?

Dynamic contrast is meaningless is it?

COME ON buddy.

Your post was just straight wrong there.

Also- I wasn't talking about graphic design- I was talking about things I watch on TV.

You either don't see well, have never experienced multiple quality displays and scrutinized them, or have no idea about this particular tech area.

Either way, no offense, but some of the thoughts put forth in this thread by several people have been so a** backwards, illogical and misleading that I can't believe we aren't all trying to get a signal on a bobby pin and a walnut shell.

SERIOUSLY.

A $400 TN display looks as good as an IPS alpha display at 3 times the price.

Ok.

(Ya- TV's. Sharp and several other MFGs use TN's with light filters to increase viewing angle. Sony uses PVA. Panasonic uses IPS. LG varies)

~~Ratbuddy I'd invite you to come over to my house and see how much more accurate skin tones, skin details, movement, contrast, etc are on my one screen vs my other with the same signal.

ratbuddy

Turning off dynamic contrast is the first thing I do. Ever see a dark scene with a few bright spots on a TV with dynamic contrast jacked way up? It's ugly.

If I want to see huge bright flashes I'll just get a strobe light ;)

Again, for people just looking for a good value in an HDTV, the stuff you mentioned doesn't even come into play.

I just really needed to get the eyesore of the old SDTV Tube out of our living room.

I think that qualifies..

ratbuddy

Here here rat...I'm glad somebody stopped that train! ;)

Sorry but when someone asks about a sub-$400 37" HDTV, they don't need to hear about high end gear. Yes, it's nice to have, but not everyone wants, or can afford it.

It's like someone asking for opinions on a Logitech speaker set and being told they are idiots for not buying Wilson Audio gear :p

Theocnoob

Sorry but when someone asks about a sub-$400 37" HDTV, they don't need to hear about high end gear. Yes, it's nice to have, but not everyone wants, or can afford it.

It's like someone asking for opinions on a Logitech speaker set and being told they are idiots for not buying Wilson Audio gear :p

Dude.
I said you can get identically priced SUPERIOR PERFORMING gear.
And you're saying it doesn't make a difference. I'm telling you it does.

one $400 HDTV is not the same as another $400 HDTV

Getting your 'eyesore' old TV out of the room @ $400 can get you a sceptre or a panasonic or a Sony and I'm pretty sure the latter two will have better picture.

My mention of superior gear was a rebuttle against your rediculous baseless comment that any old HDTV looks the same with 'oh so compressed' cable signals, hulu, etc. It doesn't.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who isn't on something here..

I'm all for convo and what not but the bottom line is someone is being advised that their 37" sceptre is going to look better or the same as a 32" panasonic. It's not.
No where near. Why ANYBODY who's spent any time in front of various HDTV's would say that is beyond me.

It's different if you only have 1 or you've only ever seen 1 in a home. You can't make an objective comment.
The person who OP'd this thread is getting a POS TV in my opinion, which I think is pretty damn educated, because everyone else here seems to think its just as good as the TV's I listed from BB when the difference is like coca cola VS RC cola. One tastes like coke. The other tastes like brown sugar water and crapp.

ratbuddy

Of course, the 32" you suggest is going to have a screen area of about 438 square inches. A 37" set is about 583 square inches. 33% bigger screen for the same money. That also matters to some people.

edit: BTW, some people prefer RC Cola to Coke. Who are you to judge?

Theocnoob

Of course, the 32" you suggest is going to have a screen area of about 438 square inches. A 37" set is about 583 square inches. 33% bigger screen for the same money. That also matters to some people.

edit: BTW, some people prefer RC Cola to Coke. Who are you to judge?

Those are the same people who thought their Koss walkman was high quality 20 years ago.

I personally do not see the point of getting a poor 37" set when you can get a good 32" set.

You're taking the fact that your TV has inferior color accuracy and contrast and blowing it up an extra 100ish square inches.

I am not troling or insulting i just dont feel IMHO that the OP has been given what I would consider the best HDTV recommendations and I'm posting in the interest of getting the OP the best experience for the OP's budget.

Last edited:
OP
M

magnetic

Disabled
Ok ok ok , thank you all. very valid points.
All iam saying is I had X Amount of $ to work with, and I didnt get a chance to snatch up some of the better offers during BF, there was a 32" LG 1080p that would have been perfect & in price range. but unfortunately it sold out.

This isnt a end all of my decision its sort of recreational set, so i can stream a couple flicks, watch a couple shows as i dont spend a great deal of time watching a television.

Dont get me wrong, I know all about the quality variances in different sets and that obviously this isnt high end quality and ill sacrifice quite a bit...but if its somewhere in the middle, than OK. Ill be fine for now. until i can get some more funds towards a true entertainment setup..as this is just sort of atemporary thing and for the price and additional newegg gave as a courtesy i figured what the hell.

I work on editing high quality film and work on high quality ISP panels doing graphic editing too...im just getting alittle tired or bored sitting at my desk watching flicks in my office. hah.

but i do appreciate the feedback, i'm definitely referencing this for future use and helps me when time comes to get around to getting everything together, im just taking it slowly but surely hah.

OP
M

magnetic

Disabled
i just wanted to update this with a small little review as i was waiting for the rest of the components to show up.
picked up a 13" notebook to plug into the LCD as a small media server and packed in a 640GB hdd with a bunch of music & movies.
the HDMI connectionw ithout a doubt is sharp and clearer than I expected.
HD Movies look fantastic via HDMI

Component looks relatively good; looks alittle "watery" or "watercolored" in a sense.
I played both DVD & VHS on this and some VHS looked unwatchable while some looked reasonable (had a bunch of old concert vhs i had yet to convert.)

Composite, similar ...im not sure if its my cables or DVD player but i havent gotten sound out of composite. could be the cables i had laying around =\

Tv programming, i havent yet gotten around to figuring out the whole HD Channel configuration yet, ive found some stations HD channels but some I cant seem to find and it doesnt tell me in my listings as i have basic cable.

So far standard definition shows are reasonable depending on the station and the show.
they do sort of look alittle watery in the sense, cnat think of another way to describe it.
theyre not as sharp as the Standard Tube CRT that replaced it.
the tube tv had a crystal clear rep of shows, but everything was cut off and hardly saw most of the picture when watching it.
But HD channels look stunning and vibrant on this.

A friend of mine ordered one and we both got a different set, one was the X370BV-HD & one was the X370BV-FHD...so im not sure if there was a shipping error or what, both ordered form newegg.
hooking my computer/notebook upto it is pretty slick, the text is readible and everything looks decent (last time i tried using an HDTV with a computer it looked awful.)

So overall for the price of around $309 after some newegg discounts im pretty satisfied with it.
only have seen one bad pixel, its a bright white spot on the upper right of the screen, not sure if its a pixel or maybe something coming in contact with the LCD.
Im not gonna return it, not a huge concern for me, i tend to ignore the anomalies.

if this set was any higher then the asking price listed or the discounts applied i would have saved my $ as stated before its not uber high end but its satisfactory for size vs quality.

thanks again for all the input.