• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using mediabrowser?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Just curious if anyone is using mediabrowser.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
MediaBrowser supplemented by MetaBrowser

Now if I could just figure out TV Shows.....

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I do...I moderate their forums too.

TV shows need to be in the following format

Series name/Season #/regexacceptablename.ext (ex. 01 - episodename.avi).

I post content every once in a while on theMetaBrowser blog also. Let me know what you're trying to do and I can get you setup.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I do...I moderate their forums too.

TV shows need to be in the following format

Series name/Season #/regexacceptablename.ext (ex. 01 - episodename.avi).

I post content every once in a while on theMetaBrowser blog also. Let me know what you're trying to do and I can get you setup.

Didn't know if you were still around Jon! I posted on the facebook group as well, with more detail.

But I LOVE mediabrowser.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Well, I should post here in case anyone else runs in to the same issue.

I use DVDDecrypter to rip all 5 Seasons of "The Office" (NBC). They're all in folders as follows:

TV Shows
\The Office (US)
\Season 1
\Disk 1
\Disk 2
\etc...

There are tons of deleted scenes and outakes so I ripped the entire disk (using DVD Decrypter), as a DVD; that's where the problem lies I think, the fact that it's a dvd rip so media browser thinks it's a DVD instead of a TV Show?

It looks like I might have to just manually add the background folders and such via metabrowser, but when I checked last night, mediabrowser was displaying the entire "the office" folder as "night at the office" (or something close to that), which was the original UK series, NOT the US series.

So I'm kind of stumped. I'm way past assuming I'm doing something wrong, but what exactly, is what I can't figure out.

Jon

I still have OCForums open most the time...mostly out of habit, but I definitely won't call myself that active.

Yeh, it's not going to be able to do anything with that. What you can do is use something like MakeMKV which will rip individual episodes into single MKV files that you can then apply correct regex to so that they are picked up correctly. Otherwise, if you want to encode, you can use FairUse Wizard which will be able to read individual episodes and output them any way you wish.

Media Browser/Meta Browser are lenient when ripping movies to various formats, but TV episodes have defined limits.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I still have OCForums open most the time...mostly out of habit, but I definitely won't call myself that active.

Yeh, it's not going to be able to do anything with that. What you can do is use something like MakeMKV which will rip individual episodes into single MKV files that you can then apply correct regex to so that they are picked up correctly. Otherwise, if you want to encode, you can use FairUse Wizard which will be able to read individual episodes and output them any way you wish.

Media Browser/Meta Browser are lenient when ripping movies to various formats, but TV episodes have defined limits.

And I can still get all the deleted scenes and bonus dvd stuff? Can I use the currently ripped DVDs (\\VIDEO_TS folder) and convert, or do I need to physically re-rip the dvds?

mrjspeed

I use MediaBrowser. I've got about 170 movies and it works very well.
I don't have any TV shows so I can't comment on that area.

While it grabs meta data nearly perfectly, there are a few flukes. For example, I have a file "The Aviator (2004).mkv". It changes the name to "aviator" (lowercase), and there is no info, no fan art, no posters - nothing. I checked theMovieDB.org, and The Aviator is indeed there. There are a few other movies that are experiencing this. I just installed Media Browser, so I'm assuming it doesn't come with Meta Browser. I was reading that Meta Browser would provide better meta data for TV shows, but not so much movies. Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to fix these fluke movies?

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I use MetaBrowser for everything, to be honest. In my opinion it works better for movies, but that could be cause I'm not using it correctly for TV shows. :D

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
As Jon said to get the metadata for TV shows you need to rip each episode. There is a guide here about how to do this. Rip every episode from season one to say The Office Season one. Kepp doing that for each season then run metabrowser.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
As Jon said to get the metadata for TV shows you need to rip each episode. There is a guide here about how to do this. Rip every episode from season one to say The Office Season one. Kepp doing that for each season then run metabrowser.

Dammit. HTPC > cw823

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
If you don't really care about metadata for each episode. You can place all the disc of each season in it's own folder in season 1 folder. then just get the metadata for the Season.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
If you don't really care about metadata for each episode. You can place all the disc of each season in it's own folder in season 1 folder. then just get the metadata for the Season.

Figure if I'm willing to re-rip all of the dvds I may as well do it all the right way. All the metadata is in a ramdisk on the htpc so the more the better, doesn't slow it down or anything.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Wonder if I can run two instances of dvdshrink at once. Not looking forward to the estimated 8.5 hours of re-ripping time.

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
So I finished ripping seasons 1 and 2, and this is not easy.

First of all, I ripped everything off the DVD, as I wanted the deleted scenes and bonus stuff. So it's like 13-17Gb per DVD, and I have a bunch of duplicates. ie.

VTS_01_1.VOB is the same file size (and same thing as) VTS_02_1.VOB. What gives? Can I nuke one or the other?

I renamed the VOB files to the approriate names, but don't they need to be avi files? I think i just wasted a few hours time following the above guide when i really need to get them ripped to avi.

:banghead:

OP
cw823

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
LOL, just had to rename the .vob files to .avi, and it's looking awesome. mediabrowser now displays at it should, which makes sense, since I ripped it the correct way this time.

Oh, and you can run two instances of dvdshrink at the same time, and oddly, though both are DVD, there are zero througput issues, but it does take about 1.5 times as long as doing one by itself. 11 to go.

Neuromancer

I have about 500 tv episodes on my HTPC what is this regex thing I need to name them?

CW: Why not just use your already ripped files and reprocess them? IE open it up with Shrink and pull what you want out. Should be damn near instant.

That is

OLD setup was

Office\Season 1\Disk 1\full contents of DVD1

Point SHrink to the disk1 folder and it will lay it all out for you to pull out the episodes, extra features secondary audio etc. (MAybe I am confusing the problem you were having)

Jon

So I finished ripping seasons 1 and 2, and this is not easy.

First of all, I ripped everything off the DVD, as I wanted the deleted scenes and bonus stuff. So it's like 13-17Gb per DVD, and I have a bunch of duplicates. ie.

VTS_01_1.VOB is the same file size (and same thing as) VTS_02_1.VOB. What gives? Can I nuke one or the other?

I renamed the VOB files to the approriate names, but don't they need to be avi files? I think i just wasted a few hours time following the above guide when i really need to get them ripped to avi.

:banghead:

MakeMKV would have made this so much easier for you.