• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone willing to fold a while?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
where to find??? (newbie help LOL)

Hey, Eriksson, where can I find the Windows Task Manager tool? It's something I can really use, I hear alot about it, but can't find it. I run WINME, hope it's there, it could very well be this tool is winNT only.

Eriksson (Apr 08, 2001 02:27 p.m.):
Dont get me wrong SPEED I am just stating the fact that net WU production cannot be improved by running these apps toghether.

• A Single WU of Seti runs for 11 Hours for me, A Dual Process WU of Seti run's in the same amount of time, just utilizing both processes.
  • A Single Fold runs for between an hour to an hour and a half for me, A Dual Process Fold run's the same amount of time, just utilizing both processes.
  • Running Seti at SMP with Folding at SMP only adds an additional three hour's to that wu's processing time. ='s Approx 14HR's
  • Running Folding at SMP with Seti at SMP only adds an additional hour give or take to that Fold's processing time. ='s Approx 2:30 to 3HR's
  • If all in all I am only taking approximately a Four hour addition total to my WU times and contributing to the good of both teams, how is this not productive ?
  • Total time to crunch a WU of both ? = Approx 17 hours
  • During that 17 hours I have folded Approx 12 Folds
  • As well as completed two Seti Units
  • The slight hit on production has made you more productive for both count's on the team, considering this, you would not have been running one or the other in the first place and in the case of a seti cruncher you have now outputed alot of work for folding at the same time you are running Seti.

However if anyone likes to contribute to both teams, I got zero problems with that :)

Danka, I will continue on my way =)

I think anyone with multiple comps should dedicate each box to either f@h or s@h, it seems to me to be the best (fastest) setup.

If I got a dual cpu machine I would use one cpu for folding and the second for seti. However to be honest they would both be crunching folding in my case.
I'll continue upon the course I have already set out upon. I enjoy the dual role my server is employing in this scheme of team effort, and am More than happy to particiipate in both. One for the good of man, and one for the unknown. =)

I am simply stating you are helping both teams by running both and not neccessarily taking a severe hit on production while at the same time, basically doubling your output.

Just my two cents
J

Last edited:
where to find??? (newbie help LOL)

Mr. Murphy (Apr 09, 2001 12:46 p.m.):
Hey, Eriksson, where can I find the Windows Task Manager tool? It's something I can really use, I hear alot about it, but can't find it. I run WINME, hope it's there, it could very well be this tool is winNT only.

Sorry I have never tried winME so I dont know if it has the taskmanager. Under win2000 you
get this nice screen by pressing ctrl+alt+del.

I really hate to bring this to you speed, but here is the deal.

Seti client and seti driver both report CPU time per WU, not the actual time it takes to
finish a WU. In your pic, and your post seti is reporting total time of 14 hours. This is
14 CPU hours. Since the folding client is using approx 50% of your CPU time Seti will finish
one WU in 2x14 hours=28 hours.

Then in 28 hours your machine is pumping out 2 seti WU (one for each CPU) and if we assume 2:50 per
folding WU (like you say, and the pic shows) 28 hours=1680min / 170min this gives 9,88 WU per cpu
per 28 hours, and since you are running two =19,76 WU

Therefore in 28 hours = 2x seti and 19,76 folding WU.

Alternative#1
Two seti @ 11 h/wu each, in 28 hours = 2x(28/11) 5.1 WU

Alternative#2
Two folding @ 1,5 h/wu hours in 28 hours = 37,33 WU per 28 hours

Alternative#3
one seti @11 h/wu (cpu1) = 2,56 WU per 28 hours
one folding @1,5 h/wu (cpu2) = 18,66 WU per 28 hours

You can see how similar alternative#3 is to the one on top, acually I am using conservative
folding times in #3 1,5 hours instead of the half of 2:50 for the folding WU time.

IMO you are wasting half seti WU per 28 hours by running this confi, this is the time lost
due to more overhead.

If you want to experiment you should try to run 4 instances of seti on your machine, two
on each CPU (without folding). You will see similar times per WU reported by seti, but
this does of course not increse the net wu output since this is the relative cpu time.

Happy crunching :)

Hey Jay

The stats show you doing about 27cpu hours per day @ 1.7 WUs avg... you slowed down around the 27th-ish of March...

Just in case you had any questions...

Kris

im gonna do either folding or seti. Which one needs more help? id rather do just one or the other i have around 4 gigs to donate to which ever one....

im all for the idea
im only crunching seti at the moment
and wont be folding for you as there is not way to cache units for folding
i am not on a permanent connection and my cpu power would go to waste

go seti@home
:D

Back