• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone worked with AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I have a notebook with an AuthenTec AES3500 finger print sensor installed. It's connected internally via the USB hub I think. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience working with these because I'm having some problems with mine.

When I first installed Windows on this machine, I used the sensor's software utility to initialize it to serve as a BIOS password. i.e. It had to scan the right fingerprint to boot into Windows. But, later I changed harddrives and installed a new OS on another hard drive without first disabling the sensor. So, now I can't initialize to serve as a BIOS passowrd becuase it's configured under the old partition which is long gone. I'm assuming it's tamper resistant, so that's why it won't "re-flash" itself under another OS installation otherwise anyone could just install a new windows partition to gain access to the files, know what I mean? Each Windows install probably creates a unique key that is flashed into the sensor's bios chip. Basically I'm wondering if there's some manufacurer's bios clearing utility for this sensor so I can start using it again. I don't know if this is making sense, but for those who have worked with these before, if you don't get it, just ask me questions. Thanks in advance. :)