• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything new in the pipeline for AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I keep hoping to see something good and genuinely impressive come out of AMD's CPU lines at some point, but they keep being so disappointing as of late.

Phenom II (Deneb/Thuban) was an improvement over the original Phenom line... But then they got to Bulldozer and seemed to take a step or two back, as 8-core Bulldozer CPU's were slower in most benchmarks than 6-core Thuban CPU's.

Piledriver didn't seem to offer much of an improvement over Bulldozer as far as I could see from the reviews I read back when it came out, which isn't surprising since it's based on the same architecture from what I read.

Seems lately like AMD is focusing exclusively on clock speed only for their "Enthusiast/FX" CPU's (FX-9590 comes to mind) (and perhaps other lines as well), and paying little to no attention to the efficiency of the CPU. And, well, the APU line isn't particularly fast from what I can tell, with even the newer top-of-the-line APU's being outperformed by an FX-8350 (and in some cases FX-6300).

While doing research lately for my next PC build I was rather disappointed to find that an FX-8350 or 8370 offers so much less performance than typical Intel Core i5 and i7 offerings, even though the AMD CPU's have a higher clock speed. I thought I would at least consider an AMD build for my next one, since my first PC was AMD-based.

Is there some chance that Excavator could bring some much needed improvement to the efficiency of AMD's CPU line? I haven't really heard much about Excavator. Heard a little bit about project code-name "Skybridge," but don't know much other than it's supposed to be a processor with ARM and x86 integrated into one CPU, which might be interesting.

I may be wrong, but I remember reading an article stating that AMD is no longer focusing on the high-end enthusiast cpu market and focusing more on their mobile division chips. If that information is correct, then quite frankly I wouldn't bother. AMD's glory days were back in the old Duron/Athlon days, after that it seems that Intel finally played catchup and well... I don't tend to recommend AMD much these days aside from their APU lineup.

There are at least two threads...

...two threads that have beat this topic to death already. One was titled something like "anything new from AMD coming" and another that started out about the FX-9590 and why n0t to get one.

No there is NOT anything in the AMD pipeline in the next 6 mos that anyone knows anything about that is talking. AMD said a year ago they had no desire to seek the top speed/performance for enthusiasts. They only slightly amended that with a few blurbs hinting at something in 2016. That is n0t this year and they never said what the heck it would be then if it did come.

So if you need a performance system for gaming...you will need Intel to ensure your video cards do not get you asking about cpu bottlenecking your video cards. That method of new platform is fairly certain not to send someone into gaming loops looking for help.

About it for real.

RGone...

Now I started to think that AMD could make 24 core (if not 32 core) Kabini with similar wattage as FX :)

If not graphics department then AMD would be dead long time ago. Right now even there isn't so good looking at mainly refreshed GPUs and constant delays.

Back