• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything wrong with these upgrades?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

I purchased upgrades for my system yesterday after a bunch of input and advice from everyone here and I have to say first of all, thank you so much! I was originally going to get a q9000 and 790i mobo for around $500 but you guys were able to help me make the better long term decision and get a i7 system upgrade for just $100 more! (I only spent $3 over my budget) You guys are awesome! :bday:

These were the upgrades after much research and debate with people here at OC I had come up to. What do you guys think? (I am never going to SLI hence the 1x PCI-E mobo)

Current:

Full Tower Case by ULTRA
XFX Nforce 680i LT Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz (stock)
6GB OCZ DDR2 800mhz Memory
Western Digital WDC 500gb HD (data/games/etc. - don't remember speed but I got it a long time ago 2-3 yrs...)
OCZ Vert 64gb SSD HD (operating system)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1gb superclocked
Antec 750w power supply
Windows Vista Ultimate 64x

Upgrades:

Gigabyte GA-P55 Mobo
Intel i7-860 CPU
G.SKill Ripjaw 4gb DDR3 - 1600
Wester Digital 750gb Black HD
Cooler Master TX3 (I probably will OC the i7)
Scythe Ultra Kaze Fan (Mounting this on Cooler instead of it's stock fan)

With this setup.. will my GPU finally be able to run @ it's max without behind held back? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Bobnova

I don't know anything about that cooler, but it looks to be on the small side to me. The price is right though.

That should be able to get your card going full blast, especially if you OC the cpu a bit.

OP
S

syypher

yay! Thanks guys good to know I was able to make the right choice. With yalls help ofcourse :)

Any advice on where I can go to read on how to OC this CPU/Mobo to around 3.8 or so? (Preferably BIOS settings if you guys can :))

Theocnoob

yay! Thanks guys good to know I was able to make the right choice. With yalls help ofcourse :)

Any advice on where I can go to read on how to OC this CPU/Mobo to around 3.8 or so? (Preferably BIOS settings if you guys can :))

dude why 1156?

no six core upgrade down the line.

Six core 1366 is in the pipe.

Six core server chips already exist for sale.

I would NEVER buy a PC right now that wasn't 1366.

The upgradability on that socket is phenomenal. It's the new 775 and the 1156 is the new 478 in my opinion.

Sure, right now, you can save some money, buy an 1156 and chip, and be almost on the same level as a 1366 system. These architechtures aren't being pushed yet.

If you haven't bought, I urge you to reconsider going to a 920 and 6GB of RAM. The platform difference to go X58, 920, 6GB is only like $150-200

BUY 1366. YOU CAN GET THIS CHIP.

TWELVE THREAD dude. TWELVE.

Bobnova

1156 is aimed at gamers, while 1366 is aimed at hard core crunching. Two totally different demands.

OP
S

syypher

1156 is aimed at gamers, while 1366 is aimed at hard core crunching. Two totally different demands.

Ya I don't ever code or do graphics/video stuff. VERY rarely do I do that. I only want this for gaming and getting full potential out of my single GPU which this setup will give me.

I also will never SLI, because I don't like having a huge screen.. I know a lot of people would disagree but it's just personal preference that I like playing at 1650x1200 max.. Hence I will never need a 2nd GPU either.

As long as this setup will give me what I want for games and my Geforce 280 I am happy. And like I said...I will never ever need that many cores even if I wanted to upgrade it, it'd be completely useless.

jgv115

Sounds like LGA1156 is right for you. the 860 can clock to 4ghz easily and can even do 4.2. I'm sure there will be no bottleneck on your GPU

OP
S

syypher

Sounds like LGA1156 is right for you. the 860 can clock to 4ghz easily and can even do 4.2. I'm sure there will be no bottleneck on your GPU

thank you! I really needed someone to confirm this but now that you have I feel much more secure in my purchase :)