• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyway to go dual without ECC mem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

I have some OCZ Eb non-ecc and I would like to keep those and might be interested in going dually. So is there anyway for me to use non-registered memory with a dually?

Edit-crap just realized im going to need a new powersupply with two power connectors too.

attack

need a PSU with two thingies.....can you clarify that a little better?

Also I know the K7D (MP mobo) has 2 dimm slots set asside for non reg non ECC memory but it's still...well i guess picky with what type of RAM it takes.

OP
S

situman

lol the "thingies" are two 12v connectors one for each cpu i guess? I am totally unfamiliar with duallies. How's the overclocking world there? Hmm no opterons, so i guess i wont be going duallies. I dont want no slow *** xeons either.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
heh! situman...I have been thinking like you bro...what a trip! I have been scoping out the Asus NCCH-DL mobo for some Nacona 800fsb action & its the canterwood chipset to boot! THe new Nacona Xeons are supposed to be smokin' fast. And this mobo will let you use regular DDR400...so you can use your OCZ 3700EB in it. THe question about the 2x 12v 4 pin mobo psu plugs is still up in the air though I noticed in th epic of the mobo that there is a 8 pin mobo header, I assume its a 2x4 12v plug. Any body know for certain about the extra power headers?

AND...it supports fsb & d-ram overclocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rpkole

the k7d u can use normal mem in the first 2 slots and it does take the 4 pin plug that has 2 yellow wire and 2 black wire and in my k7d i have 2 mobile 2400+ in there over clocked to 2.6Ghz and by sandra they are on par with a Dual xeon 3.0Ghz 512 L2

Last edited:

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Rpkole said:
the k7d u can use normal mem in the first 2 slots and my k7d i have 2 mobile 2400+ in there over clocked to 2.6Ghz and by sandra they are on par with a Dual xeon 3.0Ghz 512 L2

Give us a Sandra benchie of your k7d. I would like to see what it can put out.

Rpkole

here you go and i know duel should be spelled dual but i was half asleep when i was seting up the computer
Rpkole-dual.jpg

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Wow! I have been missing out all this time. And to think that when I had a single cpu under a Vapo....I really thought i had something there. Doesn't even compare to what you just posted.

OP
S

situman

cant really see but heck, now that i have at least the option to keep my beloved memory, i might seriously consider it, now that extra waterblock im gonna need...sigh....

Rpkole

click on the pic and it will open in a new window then you can see if full screen

disk11

situman, I think it would be better to invest in some Xeons with the memory you have and the 150 fsb cap on the K7D.

The cheapest Xeon option is the Asus PC-DL. Here is a site covering everything you need to know about this board.

Also there is the Iwill DH800, but it currently has some issues breaking 240 and is more expensive.