• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AoM - Don't bother

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Revelation

Registered
If you have Age of Empires 2, don't waste your money/time on Age of Mythology.

I brought it home yesterday, installed, and immediately got ****ed off. It's AoE2 with different units. I plowed through the Greek campaign, and felt that it was unoriginal, super-easy, and that I wasted a few hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Sandbox mode is... the same as AoE. The multiplayer client in the game is a joke, and there were 6 total games going.

I'm really disappointed that I spent 35$ on this, which is why it's going back tonight. Save yourself the trouble and play AoE2 again, or download some campaigns off of a fansite.

YMMV

Lithan

Disabled
Wow. Where'd ya buy it that'll take back open box software?

Edit: Oh and thanks for the tip. I almost preordered it... Saturday I think it was.

OP
The Revelation

The Revelation

Registered
When I open games, I take care not to break the little sticker, so I can re-seal if I don't like it.

"I bought it for my cousin, he said it was the wrong game, and now he doesn't want one, little brat. Money plea$e."

Or something to that effect.

[ before I get crap, I never use that method to copy/burn/backup software, I use it to actually try a game out, without using a lame demo, to see if I want to keep it. ]

attitudx

Xtreme refugee
I am glad to here about AOM. AOE2 was sweet adn I guess I shall just continue to play it and save my money for something else coolio

OP
The Revelation

The Revelation

Registered
By all means, everyone should download the demo at the official site, and try it out. If you are a real hardcore fan, then try it out and see if you like it. My opinion is just that, an opinion. Just want to give people the heads up before they go spend their money on it.

YMMV - Your milage may vary :D

progamer

CGW had a pretty lengthy preview of it and said it was going to be one of the best RTS games ever, but even they admitted that it doesn't have anything that separates it from the RTS crowd. It's a good game, but doesn't really bring out anything innovative or exciting. Sort of like Warcraft 3. I bought the collector's edition of it for $75. :eek:

Trap

I played AOE series for three years online!
Cuz i was rated as an expert i can easily say that AOM is pretty good game. After a few patches come out and after ES fix some things the game will rule. So far it has the best graphics, nice units and story. Multiplayer is fine too. AOM eats WC3 for breakfast. Nuff said.
And of course it is AOE like, it even has a similar name ;)

Last edited:

MajinSSJVegetto

Was AoE2 3d?
The box of AoM showed 3d characters, which I didn't think AoE2 had.

Or did it? Its been so long since I played it.
Such a wonderful series.

Trap

my advice for anyone having second thoughts: buy the game you will enjoy!
I still can't belive what awesome graphics it has...pure perfection.

OP
The Revelation

The Revelation

Registered
If you are considering buying the game, download the Demo first. That way you can see if you like it without spending the money.

Just my opinion. I'm not a huge RTS guy, so that may be why I didn't like it that much.

SmellyDraws

Registered
Trap said:
I played AOE series for three years online!
Cuz i was rated as an expert i can easily say that AOM is pretty good game. After a few patches come out and after ES fix some things the game will rule. So far it has the best graphics, nice units and story. Multiplayer is fine too. AOM eats WC3 for breakfast. Nuff said.
And of course it is AOE like, it even has a similar name ;)

whats your zone name?

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
YOUR_SUPERIOR said:
everyone go out and buy this game now.......its amaaazzziinngg :)

i second this:D just got it installed last night and i can't close it and stop playing! played aoe2 since the day it came out and i feel that this is a great step for the 'age of' series. I love the new God powers. the best thing about it so far is you have to play different than you did in AOE2 becuase the god powers and the favor factor don't allow for much mass produce your elite units in a short amount of time, just makes you think and stratagize a little more.

NAS

Razorclaw212

I got this game yesterday, and have already played for more than 15 hours.... the only thing that I have seen that bugs me about the game is that when you select a miliraty unit you have to hit an extra button to see the military commands... and that is all I can find bad after that long... guys get this game!!!

Murgen

Registered
I had played AoE and AoE2 extensively in the past, and this game immediately reminded me of the previous two. I love the graphics, and that AoE gameplay is still intact, but it just doesnt offer anything new to me.

It just seems to be missing something.... but i'd still recommend the game.

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
Haven't tried AoM yet. I played AoE, AoE-Ex, AoEII, AoEII-Ex since they all first came out, and love them even now. I'm really looking forward to Rise of Nations, which looks like it will be a really great game. Basically it will be a better looking, less thinking required version of CivIII.;)

~FA