• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apparently, non K Intel Skylake CPUs can now be overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually, I think the main intent of the technology was to enable non K overclocking. If you go back and read the article I linked in my first post it describes the design of the technology as creating a way for "lower end" Intel processors to be overclocked now that Intel forced motherboard manufacturers to abandon the bios method.

This must be just out of spite, that's my guess. Hopefully for Asrock, Intel will still sell them the next gen chipset if not they better hope AMD starts selling ha ha

ASRock has always been the renegade. Years ago they were the OEM arm of Asus but broke away. As a side note, they seem to be very responsive to their customers. At least, that has been my experience.

Actually, I think the main intent of the technology was to enable non K overclocking. If you go back and read the article I linked in my first post it describes the design of the technology as creating a way for "lower end" Intel processors to be overclocked now that Intel forced motherboard manufacturers to abandon the bios method.
separate bclk gens were already found on z170 boards well before any word that 'lower end' (locked) cpus could be overclocked from them. On the K cpu side, it allows for much higher bclks than boards without such a chip. It wasn't until well after skylake release this happened on the 'lower end' motberboards for overclocking the non K cpus.

So, I wouldn't say the technology was created for it as it already existed. However the H and B series boards with it were created to overclock the locked cpus as a lower cost alternative to the z170 boards.

But you still change the bclk through the bios on z or h/b boards.

Last edited:
ASRock has always been the renegade. Years ago they were the OEM arm of Asus but broke away. As a side note, they seem to be very responsive to their customers. At least, that has been my experience.

They were always separated companies, just started to manufacture their motherboards in the same factory and because of somehow similar naming all are connecting them now. Their target customers were different at the beginning but that has changed. Still they had many more interesting ideas and most of them were working fine what I can't say about ASUS.

If I'm right then only ASRock OC Formula has option to switch CPU microcode from BIOS. All other boards have option to manually switch BIOS so you can program unlocked BIOS in one chip and the latest official BIOS in other chip. So simply OC Formula will get updates for all devices but will let you to use older CPU microcode while on other boards you have to use old BIOS for everything if you want to OC locked CPUs. On the other hand these boards are mature enough to say that you won't really need BIOS updates.
I'm using MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC board with unlocked BIOS and i3 [email protected]. Unlocked BIOS has one big issue on my board. I have to set higher voltage to pass 4.7GHz but I'm not sure if it's real voltage as temps are not so high. I mean for 4.7GHz I have to set ~1.47V while the same on OC Formula required ~1.35V. Still temps are not much different.

Last edited:
The programmer of HWiNFO found a way to get some CPU temperature data when BCLK overclocking on Skylake. Most programs are blocked from accessing the sensors but no problems with HWiNFO on my Asus Z170 board.

What I've heard as well is that you can overclock with Non Z chipset under the Hyper models, those should feature the BCLK.
ASrock has some balls playing against Intel :D
Perhaps they became quiet as intel might have not been very happy with it and they couldn't directly advertise the overclock feature.

Back