• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apparently seasonic power supplies only need two 8-pin connectors for Nvidia Seasonic 12VHPWR Cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Or maybe it's for other brands too I'm not sure but here's what Seasonic told me. They say their 2 8-pin connector 12VHPWR cable supplies 600w and the 3 and 4 split cables are not necessary. Should be nice for neatness' sake. Sorry if everyone already knew this but I wanted to be sure before ordering to avoid issues.

seasonic 1.jpg

seasonic 2.jpg

seasonic 3.jpg

seasonic 4.jpg

Well be sure you print this out completely as proof in writing. That way if anything does happen, you have yourself covered.

It's just a wire gauge thing as they said. PCI-SIG spec is 150W MINIMUM for 6+2 pcie. If a PSU maker mfgs thicker cable over spec, it's on them. But I'd guess this varies by seasonic's models even and isn't true across the entire product stack. ;)

Regardless, this varies WILDLY by brand and model and isn't common. I would not bet it's true on other brands...or even all seasonic models.

So... your video card didn't come with the adapter??? All of mine did... and all have 3 or more 8-pin to 12V.

Last edited:
It's just a wire gauge thing as they said. PCI-SIG spec is 150W MINIMUM for 6+2 pcie. If a PSU maker mfgs thicker cable over spec, it's on them. But I'd guess this varies by seasonic's models even and isn't true across the entire product stack. ;)

Regardless, this varies WILDLY by brand and model and isn't common. I would not bet it's true on other brands...or even all seasonic models.

So... your video card didn't come with the adapter??? All of mine did... and all have 3 or more 8-pin to 12V.
I have the adapter that came with it but wouldn't mind having it simplified a bit with wires direct from the power supply without plugs in the middle. A right angle plug would be ideal. TBH since I have enough plugs available I'll probably get a right angle 3 connector for peace of mind and also so the side glass of my case won't be pressing the wires enough to bend the connector a little. If the rep is right this cable should be plenty for any future card that uses the same plug.
Post magically merged:

Well be sure you print this out completely as proof in writing. That way if anything does happen, you have yourself covered.
It's in my email forever :shrug:

Actually, the spec is 150W max for the connectors... my apologies. What can go through them depends on the gauge and connector used for the PSU.

I have the same psu, and for my 4090, using 4. Granted, it's tough to see 400W+ (in fact it sits less than 300W to output 165 FPS @ 2560x1440 ultra in most titles)...

I got a kick of that.....printing it for your records... lol. :)

Last edited:
Back