• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple account headaches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
OK, I gotta tell someone- for something so simple(account name + password) Apple's universe just makes that all a pain in the arse. I know, just an account name(email addy) plus a password...what's so hard about that? And the procedure you have to use of you "forgot" your password- OMG! It just doesn't work as described.

I know many of you are going to say "I never have any problems, Apple rocks!" Well, God bless you.

I don't want Apple to be all involved in MY devices(yes, they belong to me, not Apple); I shouldn't have to login to Apple, but yea- I get it, if you want to download apps or music you gotta play their game.

I noticed that Windows 10 also wants users to login to a Microsoft account ...don't have one-don't want one!

Am I ranting? Well yeah, I guess. But, the ordeal with Apple passwords and accounts is a mystery to me, I am used to using and keeping passwords for my Linux systems, and the couple Windows install I have, so the concept is not at all foreign.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I have an ipad that I've been telling "remind me later" for about two years. I agree, their password reset procedure is a giant PITA.
I can still buy stuff from the itunes/app store because it is set up for fingerprint reading. There's also gift card cash that I keep in the account.
Apple will never have my CC info.

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. The way I see it- Apple sacrifices user experience with their insistence on control. I had been tempted to engage some Apple genius or chat bot, and unload my grievances on them, but figured that would just be a waste of time & energy.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
I cringe every time I have to take an OS update. Usually something is messed up afterward.

BugFreak

I just went through the insanely stupid recover password for Apple and OMG can they make it any more ridiculous. Once I finally got it I tried to add a new Apple device to my account and it got even worse! It wanted me to enter a code it was sending to an old Apple device from years and years ago. Luckily it is an old ipod that I still have stuffed in a drawer but as far as I could tell there was no way to add that device if I didn't. Whatever genius at Apple thought that idea up should be smacked.

Glad I switched to a Google phone years ago for sure.

RJARRRPCGP

I cringe every time I have to take an OS update. Usually something is messed up afterward.

Albeit I have to say that Windows 10 1909 being messed up on my daily driver, is rare as of lately. Only a notable screwup in March. In March, 2020, right after the updates for that month, SFC replied with the dreaded "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files" message.
And that means "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" time. The March screwup, also resulted in me force-uninstalling and have Windows Update reinstall such update, right after running DISM with the mentioned parameters.

The normal reply from SFC, is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.".

OTOH, Android update failures are rare for me. I can't recall even once where Android would error out and tell me that it has to undo it.

Last edited:

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I have an iPad mini that my daughter uses. I almost never touch it. But when I do I forget my password. Because of course you can never reuse a password...

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
So all's good, got the new iPad 10.2 I bought for wife a TPF case, put in-service.. Am telling it "remind me later".....FOREVER!

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
I used to get cussed out on a regular basis about apples two factor and password reset process when I worked for them.
The process is actually pretty easy if the right expectations are set going into it.
Unfortunately you basically have to read the entire article to see all of the ways it could go to be prepared because it is not the same every time.
As for two factor though if you have not already added a second or third option before something happens the process gets MESSY and time consuming.
Ive seen an account that was in account recovery for 6+ months before because the user was given the wrong instructions in the beginning and they kept extending the recovery date.
So glad not to have to deal with that anymore.

That being said the only Apple product I own is my iPhone. Tablet android, laptop and desktop Win10, server linux + windows.

habbajabba

I absolutely refuse to jump through a hoop to get stupid **** like a phone or OS to work. Most of the manufacturer's in china now have "unlock codes". You create an acct., and after logging in and requesting one they eventually send you a code so you can unlock your bootloader. I did that once and will NEVER do it again. What they are doing is getting people to load up and use the device, so they can grab all your data, and only after you get the code would you even be remotely able to root the POS. China's game with unlock codes is no different than crapple's, google and msucks login bs game. I aint doin it. They can all go f themselves.
For instance, the huawei 8" tablet I just bought to use as a poe camera monitor, works as a phone and has gps. Now in 9 pie, the "location services" (the gps chip dip*****) is being called "google location services" (gimme a fng break already morons), and to use the gps one is FORCED into consenting to allow google to track you. As a 'service' (to the community) of course. Every single time you connect to an access point, google gets a call, and every single time you want to use your device to map your own location, google gets a call. The "FUSE" feature of current droid devices, chrome or otherwise, means they have literally 'fused' the software AND the hardware, so that no matter what you do, google knows about it. I seriously doubt that if I have no sim and wifi is off that once I activate the gps, chrome probably starts running in the background REGARDLESS of my settings. That just aint gonna cut it. Welcome to googles fused crap os. One big ball of ****.
If it isn't obvious this kind of behaviour is akin to a dictatorship. Google calls it serving the community.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Premium Member
If it isn't obvious this kind of behaviour is akin to a dictatorship. Google calls it serving the community.

Like using their software to provide data to authorities on movements of people tracked via their devices during "mandatory lockdowns"? Nahhh.... that wouldn't ever happen.

habbajabba

Believe this, the EMUI china default android launcher sucks ***. It's so bad that if I try to use a different launcher the device starts acting funny. I connect it to an isolated AP and have never used it to browse the net so I don't really gas what it does. As long as it turns on when I tell it to and runs a few aps that's all I care about. My Oneplus 3t is capable of contract tracing 'aps' but has none whatsoever so it's basically disabled by default. Even the emergency broadcast BS is completely shut off. Any phone you buy now in the US from a "carrier" (get it?, carrier? lol) has the latest fused ball of ****e AND contract tracing built-in. Logging in is truly the least of your problems with these devices.