• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying AS 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
Can someone please explain how to apply AS 3 ....... where, how, amount, etc .......

I got an AX - 7 and have never applied AS 3 before ... the other coolers I had came with a removeable pad

OP
K

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
I have a couple question about step 7

What is 'tinting' the bottom of the heatsink

and

In the second paragraph of step 7 it says to 're-clean' the heatsink surface with a LINT FREE cloth but from the picture it looks like they wiped it clean from all the AS 3 they applied in the first paragraph of step 7

robertm

Kaiser_Sose said:
I have a couple question about step 7

What is 'tinting' the bottom of the heatsink

and

In the second paragraph of step 7 it says to 're-clean' the heatsink surface with a LINT FREE cloth but from the picture it looks like they wiped it clean from all the AS 3 they applied in the first paragraph of step 7

What you are doing when you are tinting the bottom of the heat sink is pushing the AS into any small cracks or marks. Once you wip off the excess you will still be able to see where the AS was on the Heatsink because it has filled in all the little marks and cracks.

In step 7 there only cleaning off the excess AS from the HS. You want only a thin coat of AS so once you have tinnted the HS you want to remove all the extra AS from that surface. So you will only have the very thin layer that you apply to the CPU. If you dont tint the HS then all the little cracks and such can trap air and the HS could be less efective

OP
K

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
Thanks

1. I currently have a Volcano 6cu on the processor ..... whats a good way of cleaning the goop from the pad it came with off the slug, if I need to

How, what, etc ......

2. I got this fan from Newegg Delta ( 68.51CFM ) 80X80X38MM fan. 3-Pin. For CPU and other applications. 12V. 4900RPM. Dual-Ballbearing. Model : FFB0812SHE

is it true that this fan should not be pluged into the board but rather into a Molex connector

3. Is it a must that I lap the HS before installing it. I see very few question about lapping so I figure that it is optional

Last edited:

robertm

Kaiser_Sose said:
Thanks

1. I currently have a Volcano 6cu on the processor ..... whats a good way of cleaning the goop from the pad it came with off the slug, if I need to

How, what, etc ......

2. I got this fan from Newegg Delta ( 68.51CFM ) 80X80X38MM fan. 3-Pin. For CPU and other applications. 12V. 4900RPM. Dual-Ballbearing. Model : FFB0812SHE

is it true that this fan should not be pluged into the board but rather into a Molex connector

3. Is it a must that I lap the HS before installing it. I see very few question about lapping so I figure that it is optional

1. Well once the wax based pads have been used it very hard to remove the wax from down in the small cracks and such. I would just lightly scrap the top of the core with a razor blade. But if you are willing to lighty lap the core you could remove more. I have not been willing to try and lap a core myself :).

2. No I would not plug this fan into the Motherboard. It draws to much current and could burn up the fan header. What I have done is moved the one RPM sense wire from the supplied connector and placed it in its own connector. Then I could plug the RPM sense line to the MB for monitoring And the Fan into one of the drive connectors

3, It depends on the fisnish of the Heatsink. If the Heatsink is flat and it has a fine finish then it might not be a must. But most the time it is helpfull to lap them.