• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying for work @ a computer store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I was just wondering if I'm going to be applying for work @ computer store what i should have on my cover page ? and what skills I should point out ? like what software I know "photoshop,maya,bryce etc.... and something to maybe catch their eyes. can yous help ?

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Depends on the kind of store.

Places like Frys and Best Buy only seem to hire people with an IQ just above that of pond scum.

If you're applying to a real computer store (i.e. one where you'll be repairing computers all the time, like a little mom-and-pop type thing) You'll wanna put on lots of good stuff. If you're applying to a chain, you don't wanna seem too terribly smart.

Army_Of_1

Just curious: Wouldn't smarter be better? I havn't applied to any computer related jobs yet but I would assume that the more the knowledge the better.

deez

your cover page should just be a basic letter that says a little about yourself, the position you are applying for, where you learned about the position, and how and where you can be contacted.

You can put all the stuff you know in your resume under education or special skills.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
yeah its small p[lace the sells new/highend parts and builds systems and repairs them :)

Athlonman

DDR-PIII said:
yeah its small p[lace the sells new/highend parts and builds systems and repairs them :)

I would say also is proving your werth!! if you can do the job or not!

thats how i got my job i didn't even had in a resume i just walked in a talk to the owner right away!

Athlonman

ohhh sorry my english gets bad some days

what I was trying to say is "how good you would be to the company"

Man I miss that spelling option these forums used to have!

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
ok thanks for the ideas guys :) a computer store is the only place i "didnt know "how to apply to :) i know how to apply to other places cuz i know what they wanna see / hear.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Chains like salespeople- they don't care if you can tell the difference between ATI and NVidia as a rule. Mention that have have a pc and that is enough for them.

Small stores are different: let them know what you know!
I think one of the tricks there is being able to do what those annoying Dell commercials say they do: find out what people actually want for capability and sell/build them a system that does that and will be trouble free.
For the mom'n'pops the fact that you have a computer hobby is probably a good thing:)

Decius

Registered
Kinerry said:
So you are saying use a resume and not their applications?

That depends. If it's a big chain store, use the application and attach a Resume. Mom n' Pop operations will generally be happy with a Resume/Cover Letter. Either way though, if they wwant you to fill out an application, just do it. It might be worth the time and pen ink.