• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARC 647 Gaming Case questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dopemoney

Registered
This is the case I purchased for my first build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811736002
What I did was install a 120mm fractal fan in bottom-front (pulling air in, fan rotating counter-clockwise), and then installed radiator fan on H55 (rotating clockwise blowing onto the radiator) and another fan between radiator and case (rotating clockwise) both are 120mm fractal fans, pushing air out of the rear-top - these are my exhaust. There are 5 ventilation "slits" at the top of my case to allow air to escape that route as well. My temps are excellent. My i7-6700k idles at 19-22C and under heavy load I run around 60-65C. R9 390 while gaming after an hour or two rarely gets above 75C. Because my temps are good, I know the way I have installed my fans is adequate. I have two questions.

Is the way I have my case cooling the ideal way to configure my particular case?

Why does newegg AND ibuypower both say that this case has a place for a third "side fan" when it definitely does not? The only places to install fans are the bottom-rear for the PSU, exhaust port at top-rear, and bottom-front intake port. The see-through side panel does not have place for a third fan, nor is there a place on the opposite side. I could probably mount a fan or two at the top of the case where the ventilation slits are, but that seems far from necessary.

I realize this thread could also have been started in the "Case and Case Modding" forum.

Seems like you have it set up logically.
You could try another cooling configuration pretty easily.

Newegg likely just copied the info that was provided by iBuypower. I don't see any indication that there is a side fan so would have to guess that iBuypower simply listed it incorrectly on their website and newegg followed suit.

Agreed. Also if you decide to try and cut thru that plexi side to mount a fan, that plexi will snap/crack and pop and you will destroy that panel. Maybe looking around your area for a shop that specializes in plastic/acrylic and asking them to cut the side hole for you ;)

Thanks guys. I am in agreement with all of your feedback. And yeah, I don't think cutting into that plastic/acrylic is a good idea at all. I'd probably get a new case first. If anything, should I decide I want it cooler in the case, installing a dual fan setup at the top blowing out those slits would be a good plan, right?

I'm sure it'll be ok so long as you have the front fan as intake (blowing inwards) and the top rear blowing outwards, you'll have positive case pressure which is a good thing ;) Hopefully the top slits won't hinder airflow.

Yes, "What I did was install a 120mm fractal fan in bottom-front (pulling air in, fan rotating counter-clockwise), and then installed radiator fan on H55 (rotating clockwise blowing onto the radiator) and another fan between radiator and case (rotating clockwise) both are 120mm fractal fans, pushing air out of the rear-top - these are my exhaust."

Since I have two fan ports to install fans at the top, maybe only install one at a time to make sure I don't screw up the air pressure in the case? Sounds like a good idea. If I do that, which would be preferred - install in the port towards the front of the case (over the drives) or near the rear of the case (almost directly above the water block)? Or might this be trial and error, install one at a time and see which gives better results? Also, putting two fans blowing out the top might get a bit loud, even with Fractal silent series, five fans may be too much.

Last edited:
Back