• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer w/pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby

First the eye candy :D

bga.jpg

bga1.jpg

bga2.jpg

bga5.jpg

I installed this about an hour ago and started playing some games and did a little o/c'ing on the card. I used Arctic Silver 5 instead of the stuff that comes with it. Initially, there was a 10°C drop when I started my computer (temp probe in the same place, right next to the core, maybe closer). After playing a game (Halo) and doing some photoshop (for the above pics) the temp is anywhere between 10-15°C cooler and the ambient room temp taken on top of my computer is about 5-7°F warmer than usual.

The fan is on high and it's not audible over the 5 SFII fans running in my case. For those with the Tt Xaser III, Enermax CS10181B or Casetek, you'll have to remove the plastic tool-free PCI/AGP card holder and screw them in like any other case.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the results. It now runs only slightly hotter than my old Ti4200. I ordered this from SVC on the 22nd and received it via US Postal Priority on the 24th (today).

-Bobby

OP
Bobby

Bobby

Too many pics so here's a couple more.

bga3.jpg

bga4.jpg

Forgot to add that they cleared the BGA Tweakmonster ram sinks by a good margin.

-Bobby

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Very nice dude! I got mine on a 9800 XT and love it! I have some OCZ flowers that I am gonna put on the mem. But it looks like I am gonna have to mod them (bend) in order for them to fit under the hsf.

Steven4563

NICE !!! ive got that cooler and i love it only cost me £10 in pcworld :D and its £21 on the net places like www.overclockers.co.uk

also how did it go getting that blue thing on the back off the card if your using it i couldnt get it on properly so i fixed it with a few washers:D

OP
Bobby

Bobby

Krag - Thanks! :D The thing is HUGE!!! :eek:

Steven - What blue thing? The piece that holds the hs on the board? It fit perfectly for me. Alternate sides as you tighten it down to the foam washer and that was it.

-Bobby

cobray

What were your temps, before and after, and where/how did you measure ? TIA!

OP
Bobby

Bobby

vkvenom - I've never tried a Zalman ZM80C-HP so I can't compare the two.

cobray - My idle temps with the stock hsf was around 51°C at stock speeds and about 54°C at 420/375. Playing Halo I was getting about 65-68°C at o/c speeds. Now I'm getting about 44°C o/c'd (425/375) at idle and about 52°C playing Halo. This is with the fan at full speed (2800rpm?). Remember, the Arctic Silver 5 isn't broken in yet either. I measured with the Hardcano 9 temp probe with the probe under the heatsink, right next to the gpu. With the stock hsf, I couldn't get the probe completely under the hsf so it was right next to it outside the shim. I can get the probe right next to the gpu with the AC VGA Silencer since there's enough of a gap to get the probe past the shim so it might be running even cooler.

schismspeak is right, the AC VGA Silencer was pretty easy to install. Took all of about 5 mins to get it on the card. At $22 + s&h, this is a great deal and well worth it.

-Bobby

wpmegee

I've got one also, love it. Paid $29 for mine I think (from SVC). Got 33 more mhz on the core- my ram's holding me back bigtime though (3.3 Infineon).

Do ramsinks really help any? I've heard 5-10mhz max.

OP
Bobby

Bobby

I didn't get them to squeeze the last mhz out of the memory. Heat is the enemy to all electronics and I noticed that the memory on my video card was really warm so I figured the heatsinks would cool them down a bit for longevity rather than max mhz. Same goes with the VGA cooler. I'm running 425/375 (up from 420/370) every day. I haven't tried finding the max speed of this card since the VGA cooler. One day.

-Bobby

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
OOOPS Silly me forgot to plug the fan in. Oh well at least its real easy to put on. This thing is big but not as heavy as I thought it would be. OK back to uninstalling and reinstalling with the fan plugged in

eva2000

Got my Silencer modded to install on Gigacube 9600PRO http://fileshosts.com/artic_silencer/9600pro/

for the 9600pro, the silencer sits/mounts too low and the aluminium heatsink touches the PCI SLOT 1 and doesn't allow video card to insert fully into AGP Slot.

I need to cut away the heatsink to make it fit.. pics above show i still need to cut more away for it to not touch PCI SLOT 1 on AI7 (and most boards)

OP
Bobby

Bobby

jtjuska said:
Would that silencer fit the 9600 XT??

From Arctic Cooling... No. They're coming out with one for the 9600 series cards in Feb (or so they say). Some have had good luck installing it on a 9600 though. You might have to make a few mods to get it to fit.

-Bobby

Pntgrd

Mine came today, can't wait to get home and install it. I do have a question though. In the instructions it says when mounting the hs and tightening the Blue thing on the back of the card that there is a "clip" that will compress and a pic that shows what looks like a silver metal thing between the card and the Blue thing. I do not see this silver thing in my package. Have they changed the mounting and not changed the directions??

[EDIT]
Never mind, I am an idiot. I see what it is talking about now

Last edited: